Severe weather warning

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're on the borders of 65/32 and there has been a fair amount of damage around here.  We had no power for 40 hours and we hear there are still some people without electricity or phones.  The wind decimated the exposed part of our woodland: in a half-hectare area about 75% of the trees have been uprooted and a dozen of them (including three big ones) came down across the road.  Fortunately our first clearance efforts were soon supplemented by seven neighbours with chainsaws, and a local farmer with his tractor and chains to pull down the ones fallen at an angle, so the road was open to traffic by nightfall.  In our garden we have lost the plum, greengage and apple trees and a large acacia has fallen across the grass: fortunately John had braved the early part of the storm to move the cars close to the house as the top of the tree reached right across the gravel where one of them was parked. Neighbours have lost barn roofs, sheds etc but thankfully I haven't heard of anyone being injured.  I guess the warning system and the time of day when it started helped keep everyone indoors.  Let's hope it's definitely a one-off......

Val

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

................. and on the news it just showed vans coming over from Britain to help EDF.

[/quote]

I had not realised that electricity could be transported in this way but these French are fiendishly clever.

Sorry to hear that some of you suffered so much - we had a power cut for about 15 seconds so all electric clocks had to be reset but that's all.

John

"in a half-hectare area about 75% of

the trees have been uprooted and a dozen of them (including three big

ones) came down across the road"

With the help of members on this forum I have discovered that your insurance will cover the loss of trees, to include cutting, clearance, hole filling and replanting. I regret the loss of trees at our house, but look forward to rejuvenating with new ones. I hope you have the opportunity to do the same via your insurance co. Remember that you have to notify your insurance within 10 days regarding the 'catastrophe naturelle' Good luck.