Is another tempete on its way on Monday?

If the storm is as strong as it is purported to be by my neighbours, I would be interested in moving inland for a couple of days or so.

If anyone has a gite to rent inland from Bordeaux or Royan, suitable for 3 of my 4 children, a dog and a husband - who are both very well house trained - and me, could you send me a PM (the email link doesn't work)?

Take a look at the met office site here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/surface_pressure.html

Advance it to monday night/tuesday morning by clicking on T+60 or T+72 (12 hour increments) and you'll see the potential beast. It may simply be very windy or it may deepen and become another hurricane, either way it's forecast to head off over northern France but that is only a forecast. Direction will be all important. The strongest winds will be south of the eye of the depression.

[quote user="Gemini_man"]Take a look at the met office site here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/surface_pressure.html

Advance it to monday night/tuesday morning by clicking on T+60 or T+72 (12 hour increments) and you'll see the potential beast. It may simply be very windy or it may deepen and become another hurricane, either way it's forecast to head off over northern France but that is only a forecast. Direction will be all important. The strongest winds will be south of the eye of the depression.

[/quote]

Using Gm's link (what a useful site Gm) it seems as though the worst of the storm might occur through Tuesday - if I have read the timing right?

Sue

Looking at  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/meteoalarm/index.html  I have been trying to work out what the symbol consisting of a square with a line through it is - the one beside France in the example of a warning weather chart.  It also appears against the vast majority of areas of France, which are coloured yellow for 'vigilance if taking part in outdoor activities', in the current meteoalarm forecast.  It would be good to know what to be vigilant about - or it a symbol in such widespread use that they don't bother to define it, and it has somehow just passed me by?

Val

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Gemini_man"]Take a look at the met office site here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/surface_pressure.html

[/quote]

Using Gm's link (what a useful site Gm) it seems as though the worst of the storm might occur through Tuesday - if I have read the timing right?

Sue

[/quote]

Sue, it looks as though the storm is likely to arrive onland sometime Monday afternoon/evening and it should be a very noisy night for anyone in or near it's path. Tuesday should be a lot calmer by daybreak, depending on where you are in France of course. The important thing will be how deep the depression is, at the moment Meteo France don't have it flagged to be vigilant of which kind of surprises me as they are pretty cautious these days.

Fot anyother view of what's "coming your way" this is a usefull site: http://tinyurl.com/3xx87m

It shows a loop of the last three hours rainfall/snowfall from which you should be able to see if anything very wet is headed your way. It will also show cloud cover by clicking "clouds and rainfall images" at the top of the map. The images during the recent storm in the South West were quite remarkable with a very intense cloud swirl, that is until the elctricity went off and the screen went blank [:P]

[quote user="Judie"]I'm afraid your link doesn't work.[/quote]

Judie,

Lisleoise's link times out viewing sessions but if you click on Sommaire on the left of the page it will take you to a weather map with a section on the right marked "VIOLENTE TEMPETE à partir de lundi soir"which you can click on for more info.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]On Méteoconsult (click for link):

"violente tempête"

[/quote]

Maybe you're logged into the site Lisleoise? I think non registered visitors see this "Vous n'avez pas navigué sur notre site depuis plus d'un quart d'heure. Pour votre sécurité, nous vous avons déconnecté."

But clicking on Sommaire does bring up the page with the Viloente tempete details.

Unfortunately the Met Office site is only updated once a day at 7.30 am which is pretty useless for forecasting purposes so will have to wait until the morning to see what their prediction is. Meanwhile Meteo France have updated their site several times and are now predicting strong winds in the West, North and Centre throughout Tuesday but are only talking about gusts of max 110 kmh consequently no vigilance orange or rouge. I'd still put away anything that could be blown about, just in case!

[quote user="NormanH"]If you click on the link I gave before Méteo  

you will see that there is now an orange alert in the North West and West

[/quote]

Yes, Meteo France updated this morning. The Met Office are forecasting the depression to be a low of 973 mb which is considerably higher than the recent storm in the South West which was 960 mb so hopefully this one will not be too destructive. It will be a noisy night though, that's for sure. Now where did I put those candles? [:$]

Météo France a étendu la vigilance orange pour tempête à 58 départements au nord d'une ligne allant des Landes à la Franche-Comté, contre 35 précédemment, dans un nouveau bulletin publié lundi en fin de matinée.

Alerte orange for 58 départements from the Landes up to the Franche-Comté.

http://actu.orange.fr/articles/a-la-une/Tempete-58-departements-en-alerte-orange.html

They just said on the news that it will be between 18.00 this evening and 13.00 hours tomorrow.

Depending upon the severity of tonight's blow, if there are any absent owners living within half an hours drive of Moutiers les Maufaits I'd be prepared to go out tomorrow and give your place a quick once over for obvious damage (I'm not a surveyor or builder).

I'm finding the site below of great value,  for Britain as well as France

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=FR

Well worth taking a few minutes to get to know how to use all the options.

I do wish everyone luck,  I absolutely hate strong winds and the damage they can cause  (remembering the destruction round us after the 1999 tempete,  although we were relatively unscathed).

Bon courage.

I posted that site last week. It would appear from thr reaction of those living further south that the wind history does not show the gusts but merely the normal wind strength.

I agree with you though that it's generally a good site.

Virtually no wind here as yet (10 kms inland from Les Sables).

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]I'm finding the site below of great value,  for Britain as well as France

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=FR

Well worth taking a few minutes to get to know how to use all the options.

I do wish everyone luck,  I absolutely hate strong winds and the damage they can cause  (remembering the destruction round us after the 1999 tempete,  although we were relatively unscathed).

Bon courage.

[/quote]

Ooh yes, nice map, have added that to my favourites and will explore the options, thanks Martin and Benjamin [:)]

Talking of the tempete of 1999, that started with a deep depression that tracked along the channel and North of France, just like this one is going to do, causing enormous damage then 24 hours later out of nowhere a second depression, even deeper, developed off the West coast - oddly enough it was given the name Martin! The second depression devastated large parts of West, South West and South France. I have reason to remember it well as my subsequent insurance claim paid for a second car, a fridge freezer, a computer upgrade and some new tiles. So, I shall be watching closely for any developments off the West coast tomorrow [;-)]