DIY supplies in France

Hi,

We have spoken to our friends and read the forums regarding the poor quality and expensive DIY  items sold in France but have not seen anywhere to get quality and value for money items in France, So does any body know of a way of getting things shipped to France (such as screws,nails,electrical items etc) from the UK as we are struggling to find the items we need just for basic DIY projects.[8-)]

UK Electrical items are for the most part not suitable, switches have the wrong screw spacing, sockets are clearly not NF and do not match French plugs, UK cables has an undersized earth and no second layer of insulation for the earth.  Several people have tried a regular courrier service with a depot to which you can have a delivery from Screwfix made.

I normally include visits to Bricodepot and Lerpy Merlin during our trips to Bordeaux. I also plan electrical and plumbing jobs and buy backing boxes, sockets etc for each stage in one visit. Even after adjusting for VAT and before bulk discount 25mm 3.5 plasterboard screws are 22% more at bricodepot than Screwfix so I also have one order a year when/if we go to the UK.

And of course, if you have UK fittings there have been sories on here over the years, both first-hand and anecdotal, about the problems that vendors face when they try to sell their houses with UK fittings and wiring, though obviously some people may have got away with it.

If you ever come to sell your French house, be aware that you may have to spend out again to make everything French legal.

I have never found screws and nails poor quality or expensive in France. I tend to use posidrive screws that I buy by the box full and they have all worked as required. Nails are just something that I bang in and they work too, will good quality ones bang in any better?

I agree with BobT, I use the Rocket brand screws from Weldom, buy in bulk and they're excellent, they also do a non rust type if you want to use them outside.  As for other disposables, I just buy as I go, accumulate points/money on the various fidelity cards and then use them when I have a big purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I once tried to buy some large nails in Brico Depot where you put the items in one of three different sizes of plastic bags and there is a cost irrespective of what you have in the bag for each size. However, the largest size bag was not large enough for the size of nails that I wanted. With limited French I left without the nails.

I do tend to buy some items from Screwfix and take them to France but do also buy a lot of items in France. There is also a builders merchant near our house and helpfully the owner speaks English - and the prices are a lot cheaper than the sheds and other smaller DIY places.

As for electrical items then do follow the French regs and use French items. However, do buy all that you need in one go. I am rewiring using Legrand Mosaic range - just went to buy the last few face plates that I need only to discover that the design has been changed [:(]. Also notice that in the past the items sold in Brico Depot from Legrand were not indiviually packed, i.e. sockets were in a box of ten and you bought how mny you wanted they come come individually packaged and seem a little more expensive.

Paul