Places for children in the Dordogne?

Here are some of the places that my grand daughters enjoyed at that age. I have checked and they are all open in October although with restricted hours -

The Aquarium at Le Bugue, the Gouffre de Proumeyssac near Le Bugue, La Roque Staint-Christophe and the Maison de Reignac in the Vezere valley, la Grotte de Rouffignac not too far away from the Vezere valley. If you would consider going further afield - my own favourite Les Jardins Suspendus de Marquesyssac which for the younger ones is quite like a ramble and they have a tree house and a children's play area or even the Chateau de Castelnaud  which, although it is actually a military museum allows for plenty of imaginitive play if they are into knights and ladies.

Best of luck with this - maybe someone will come up with places closer to you. I seem to remember you once saying that you lived between Bergerac and Periguex. 

Hoddy

My six year old nephew enjoyed bridge jumping in Aubetere - 5 meter jump may be a bit much for a 4 year old though but he could be the first to do it!

Canoeing is good fun and walking in the trees in various venues is good value for a whole day.

There are many caves to vist and the fish petting in Le Bugue is fun.

Just give kids a swimming pool and they are mostly happy or the various swimming lakes are fun too.

I'd  be nervous about taking a four year old and a seven year old canoeing in October unless they are already very experienced and good swimmers. The river level is already rising, the water temperature has dropped and there are far fewer people about if one got into difficulties.

Hoddy

My nephew and niece were swimming in bathing costumes in the swimming lake on New Years Day. the nice went a bit blue though.

Wetsuits are cheap for kids and also stop them get sunburn plus giving them flotation and saves pain when getting backflips wrong from 5 meters.