Dentists in the Dordgne

Can anyone recommend a dentist in the Dordgne.  Someone who they have had a good experience with and who they felt charged a fair price.  My dentist seems to be recommending very expensive - and after doing research unnecessary treatment.  Plus even after sociale securite and mutual his devis is way more than I would pay a private UK dentist.  So something is wrong somewhere.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Doris

Doris,

You could try searching for a dentist who charges the set tariff (conventionné) from this page:

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/annuaires/recherche-des-professionnels-de-sante.php

Select Chirurgien-dentiste from the drop-down menu in the 3rd field.

Then select Conventionné from the next drop-down menu.

Enter your department number AND a town (there are 189 conventionnés dentists in 24!)

Hi clair

Thanks for that I didn't know that existed.  However, after putting in my postcode - my dentist came up!!!  (amongst others obviously) What does that mean?  The treatment he suggests costs way over the base price and doesn't appear to be necessary. 

Doris

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Doris

You  may have already found a dentist.  I use Lèon Lombard in  SIORAC-EN-PERIGORD 24170 (05 53 28 94 52).  He's South African and his nurse/receptionist, Tina is English.  I've not had any major work done but what has been done was not horrendously expensive.

Regards

Margaret

Isnt it more the fact that the bases de remboursement are well below the cost of some treatments?

I ask as I am currently having a crown fitted by my dentist whom I have always found to be very reasonable.

The cost for a porcelain crown is going to be €375 yet th base de remboursement (SPR50) I am told is €107.50

I have tried the link many which ways and it always brings up "aucun"

I will try again with a major city.

Editted.

Still no luck, can there really be no chirurgien dentists conventionné in dept 80?

[quote user="Chancer"]can there really be no chirurgien dentists conventionné in dept 80?[/quote]

"Il y a

185 réponses selon les critères :

Profession : Chirurgien-dentiste, Secteur : Conventionné, Code postal : 80

• Skip to Profession and select Chirurgien-Dentiste from the drop-down list.
  • In Secteur conventionnel, select Conventionné.
  • In Situation géographique, type 80 or your postcode.
  • Click on Rechercher.

Thank you for that Clair,oops Russethouse!  a typically non user friendly web site, out of character I know but I followed the instruction that to do a search you had to enter your name and that was why it didnt work!

My dentist is conventionné, the base that I gave you was for CPAM as I dont have a mutuelle.

So does being conventionne mean that you can only charge the base or is it as I posted in reply above that the bases are only used for reimboursement.

I cant imagine an optician making a pair of glasses for €1.50 which I think is the base de remboursement.

I wasnt offered an acrylic crown, a metal one at €270 and ceramic at €375

I have found this http://www.directmutuelle.fr/guide-mutuelle-tarif-soins-dentaire.htm

Which answers my question and may give reassure Doris Day according to what she has been quoted. It shows the average cost of a ceramic crown being between €600 to €1200 and the base de remboursement being relatively low as it is after all a luxury or non essential treatment.

My Dentist appears to be very good value at €375, in this area I doubt that he could charge more, most people just have no teeth left!

To compare costs with a UK dentist isnt really a good way of deciding if wha you have been quoted is dear, although if you are able to make the trip then go for it but be sure that you are comparing apples with apples.

[quote user="Chancer"]So does being conventionne mean that you can only charge the base or is it as I posted in reply above that the bases are only used for reimboursement.[/quote]

The important bit from the Ameli website is:

"Les

prothèses dentaires sont prises en charge par l'Assurance Maladie si

elles figurent sur la liste des actes et prestations remboursables, et

sont remboursées à 70 % sur la base de tarifs dits de responsabilité,

très souvent inférieurs à leur coût réel.

En effet,

contrairement aux consultations et aux soins dentaires, le tarif des

prothèses dentaires est libre
. À noter cependant que le

chirurgien-dentiste ou le médecin stomatologiste est tenu de fixer ses

honoraires « avec tact et mesure »
et de vous en informer préalablement

au moyen d'un devis écrit."

So for consultations et soins dentaire (extractions etc) a conventionné dentist charges the scale rate and you get the appropriate reimbursement from CPAM.  For prosthetics (crowns, bridges, dentures) the dentist can charge what he likes but should not be excessive - not defined.  However, he should give you a devis and from that you can make your judgement.

Thank you Weegie.

From the work already done in the last two visits and that being carried out in the lab/factory plus the next and hopefully final visit I consider €375 very reasonable given that he has to pay for his building, assistant etc, not to mention the social charges that we know so well.

Not that it makes finding the money any easier but it is now going to be one rather than two crowns, I am not sure if he has changed his mind or myself and/or his assistant misunderstood last time.