Planning Permision for minor alterations in the Perigord Noir region

Hi All,

I`m putting this in the South West section as the answer is heavily effected by the area.  As my other post says, I`m off in a week or so to check out some properties in the Perigord Noir - these will ne properties with "potential" - though an Immobilier has just contacted me to let me know that one property that I am due to view has had the roof collapse since the photo`s and details were taken....

Anyway, a question - what is the situation like regarding planning and putting in veluxes (does it make any difference if they are away from the road as it does in the UK) and additional windows and/or increasing widow sizes - I am thinking of ground floor at the rear, putting in french doors etc.

Any knowledge I can gleam would be a big help when trying to visualize a heap of stone as a finnished maison:)

Many thanks, Dan.

I doubt the region matters much at all.

Any of the changes you are talking about will require planning consent.

Again irrespective of which region is you are within 500m of an historic monument then special permission is required and there may be some hefty limitations on what you can and cannot do - even down to the colour of the paint used.

Perigord Noir has other rules and regs above the norm.  In our commune, where there is a chateau which is listed, you cannot make changes within 1km without permission and because it's an historically listed village, the rules are very strict and are harshly imposed, not necessarily by the commune.

A chum who lives just on the limit recently asked to improve their home.  There's no way the house can be seen from the chateau (it's round several bends, behind a hill and a quarry) and the Batiment de France guy refused permission on the grounds that the owners had ideas above their station - I kid you not, he even put it in writing!!

In the Perigord, which is full of chateaux, it's not as easy as it may be elsewhere and that's from personal experience too, you MUST maintain 'the Perigordine style' and any permissions will be with held if the various authorities think you aren't doing that.

We were told that any change which involved the outward appearance of the house would have to have planning permission. We were also given to understand that they aren't keen on delux windows on steep Perigourdine roofs.

Hoddy

We have obtained permission to convert a triple garage into a Perigord -style house, to be built in stone in a classified, historic village - now for sale as a plot with Permis. Batiments de France originally wanted us to build in wood as the garage is wooden but with the assistance of our Conseil the permission was obtaained for the stone house. A recent build  on a field on the outskirts of the village is a wooden sechoir de tabac style home - although there wasn't a sechoir there before - the planners at Batiment de France really liked that idea and alathough it divided opinion, it has settled into the landscape well. But everything in the village - change of window, door etc, requires not just the mayor and DDE but Batiments de France - often also requiring expensive solutions to new roofs etc with hand made tiles.....Phylis

• 1 month later...
We put new windows at rear of property and had no problem with planning permission, just time it took for planning to go through, ours was near the local church and needed their permission as well. Was advised even at rear of property it still needed permission.