First Snow of Winter in the Lot

[quote user="zeb"]We came here for it...and we've got it...yippee!
[/quote]

How far down are you Zeb - comingdown on Saturday to near Boulogne sur Gesse and do not want any of the white stuff so hoping you are in or very close to the mountains.

Paul

Hi all

Drove up from the Loire Thursday afternoon to catch 16.30 ferry at Caen.

From Argentan onwards sleet/snow, warnings, etc.  then drove through 3 "blizzards" to find traffic very slow on approach to Caen and then over bridge, turn off to port ok.  Clear at port.  UK ok so far in Surrey.

WendyG

Our part of N Lot is a snow free zone so far though just a few kms away (and lower) they had a light dusting yesterday morning. Meteo promises us heavy snow tonight with more to come over the weeked so I will bring a few barrow loads of firewood a little closer to the back door, just in case.

The hilly bits mean that getting out of and back into our hamlet becomes a tad risky with as little as an inch of snow but provided it has gone by Monday p.m. for Di's trip to stomatologist in Brive I'll just pour another bucket of red and hope that the Newbury meeting is not cancelled.

John

Eric, I heard it was forecast as bad for you up there, but as you say, that's very early! We had just a few flakes at 3pm here in the south of UK, and we followed a gritting lorry to the town centre, so we thought either snow or black ice were forecast. I thought we might get more snow overnight, but it's just another very heavy frost with beautiful sunshine! [:)]

Took me just over one hour yesterday morning to do 6 miles !!! i do it in 12 minutes flat normally. Even worse last night as all roads back home were just ice despite gritters having been out all day.... Photograph taken at 08h00 facing West.

[img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/frenchgold/NEsnow.jpg[/img]

Paul - no snow in Boulogne at the moment (in fact it's quite sunny, but very wet as it poured all day yesterday) - doesn't look like we're forecast it for the weekend in this area - the forecast says snow at 500 m. We'll just get the rain

Of course they could be wrong.....!!

Lou

Just been outside to clear the 25 steps from the front door to the road, which would have been easier had the snow not been blown right up to the front door, despite the covered terrace.

The snow on the ground is 22 cm deep (9" in old money).

We usually have to clear the dish several times during the winter, but thankfully not this morning!

I'll post a picture once I have dug my way out... [:P]

[quote user="ericd"]

Took me just over one hour yesterday morning to do 6 miles !!! i do it in 12 minutes flat normally. Even worse last night as all roads back home were just ice despite gritters having been out all day.... Photograph taken at 08h00 facing West.

[/quote]

Wow those cars are all on the wrong side of the road for SW France!

Snow up to the door (and inside the boots I thoughtfully left by the door...)

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/DSCI0001480x640.jpg[/IMG]

Clear the steps:

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/DSCI0002480x640.jpg[/IMG]

Enjoy the view (AnOther, note the snow covered sat. dish!)

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/DSCI0003640x470.jpg[/IMG]

Up here in Haute Vienne (just  about 2kms from border with Dordogne) we woke to about 8 inches. but the n21 at the end of our little 'voie sans issue' is clear and gritted and at midday a commune tractor/snowplough  came and sorted our tiny road ( just 3 houses) and gritted it. Now I'll sit and wait to hear how GB has ground to a halt!

Well C of Chalus, it would seem that you are very lucky. As Eric D showed on his photo there's a Lot of snow in the U.K. Am I the only one who found your reply a little smug?

Were you in the Haute Vienne for the tempete end of 1999 / 2000 when many were without electricity and other services for days, weeks on end. The inhabitants of the Haute Vienne were very pleased to see British and Irish engineers arrive to help restore services.

Please spare a thought for a friend of mine who has a very disabled husband and lives outside Newcastle, she is very dependent on carers coming four times a day to help and if the snow makes roads in rural Northaumberland impassable she has a real problem.

There but for the grace of God etc.

Cendrillon wrote : " Please spare a thought for a friend of mine who has a very disabled husband and lives outside Newcastle, she is very dependent on carers coming four times a day to help and if the snow makes roads in rural Northaumberland impassable she has a real problem."

I drive 3 days of the week when I am in the UK taking patients to and from Southampton General and the  Southants  Hospital ... My area includes the whole of the New Forest...Last winter the forest roads were not gritted . I use my own car to do this as volunteer ..Many patients are going daily for Radio Therapy  Next week we are promised more ice and snow. I dont think the forest roads will be gritted .I know how important the patients treatment is to them . So what to do when the snow arrives ..stay home snug in front of the telly ...or slip slide again through the forest and try and not put the  car in a ditch..  I know if I dont turn out then with some of the locations they just will not be able to get in...  I hate snow .

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Well C of Chalus, it would seem that you are very lucky. As Eric D showed on his photo there's a Lot of snow in the U.K. Am I the only one who found your reply a little smug?

[/quote]

Yep - I recon you are the only one!

Some lovely photos appearing here - but I'm very glad that's as much as we've got here so far in our part of southern England!  [:)] It's been very cold, with heavy frosts and a few flakes of snow to keep us wondering, but that's all. We're due to fly back to France on Wednesday, so we've booked in to a hotel by the airport in case of difficult driving conditions on Wednesday morning.

Don't forget, Confused, that not all of France copes with snow as well as where you are! In the south there were problems with snow which lasted quite a time - both in December and February. Last year there were several hundred cars stuck on the main road from Nimes to Ales for quite a few hours, and airports were closed; our local airport had 2 plane-loads of passengers stuck there - and it's a tiny place with severely limited facilities. The nearest place is a tiny village, and taxis and the shuttle bus couldn't get there from town due to the hills. They later managed to borrow a snow plough!  [:)]

I'm hoping they are better prepared for snow in the south of France this year, but it's a huge expenditure to gear up properly to cope with such conditions; if the chance of snow was more certain there'd be no problem. I know our local towns in southern England have worked hard at solving this problem, and the hospital has more 4-wheel drive vehicles etc for getting people in who are ill etc. Our gritters were out on Wednesday afternoon in town, but I only saw a few flakes; I understand it was to avoid problems with black ice.

More snowy photos would be lovely wherever they are from. Does Cyprus ever get snow, Krusty? Hope you've settled in nicely.  [:)]

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Does Cyprus ever get snow, Krusty? Hope you've settled in nicely.  [:)]

[/quote]

Thank you GG , things are going well. Yes it does get snow here , but people tell me only in the mountain areas , I will see how it goes.

If I see any snow I will report back with a photo.