Soon to be Ex Pats

Looking for English Speaking Ex-pats only? Colleague and I are moving to Midi-Pyrenees in 2012-13 setting up a new, 3rd office providing Tax Preparation to Ex-pats: Cdn, US, UK, FR, and eventually EU. Loads of Engl. speaking all over Aquitaine, Midi- Pyrenees. Look forward to meeting up.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Being pedantic (who me ???), you are actually becoming immigrants, not expats.[/quote]

Could be both :-)

According to dictionary.com

expatriate            to withdraw (oneself) from residence in one's native country

Immigrant          
a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"][quote user="powerdesal"]Being pedantic (who me ???), you are actually becoming immigrants, not expats.[/quote]

expatriate            to withdraw (oneself) from residence in one's native country ( Usually for a temporary period ) 

Immigrant          

[/quote]

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Tandem_Pilot"][quote user="powerdesal"]Being pedantic (who me ???), you are actually becoming immigrants, not expats.[/quote]

expatriate            to withdraw (oneself) from residence in one's native country ( Usually for a temporary period ) 

Immigrant          

[/quote][/quote]

To continue your pedantic theme, the addition is yours and yours alone - dictionary.com only has the text I quoted :-)

It is interesting that you rarely hear of or read about (to pluck a few nationalities at random) Polish, Pakistani or Chinese expats working in Britain. They're always... immigrants. Whereas when British people migrate abroad, miraculously they become... expats.

Bushy wrote

I am retiring to the Marmande, Duras area of France in the summer

together with my husband and would be intersted to know if there are any

other ex pats in the area.

Back on track:

I believe there are a lot of British (ex Pats or otherwise) living around Duras so there's a good chance you'll meet up with some of them before too long.

Good luck with your retirement and the move to France.