water restriction in 24 (Riberac area)?

yesterday morning i asked in the office of Sogedo (water supplier) and they told me that since the day before there is a ban for watering the garden and filling up pool in all of dordogne.

in the afternoon i called my mairie and they said that there is no restriction at all, the only restriction at the moment is for the farmers as they can pump water from the rivers...

who do i believe?

There's nothing re domestic restrictions on the notice board at Lisle Mairie.

In Perigueux every municipal roundabout is gloriously green and everytime I pass the new Hotel de Ville at Chancelade the sprinklers are going on their new lawns - completely over-the-top watering as most of it is running down the road.

I'm not watering my lawn except for a small area recently seeded occasionally and a few new trees planted after building work this Spring. Most of my grass is like Weetabix, as someone on here described it, but it will come green again when we eventually get some decent rain, and the sixty-odd square metres of dirt still to be dealt with will be grass-seeded then too but for now it can wait. The potager seems to be doing well enough without being watered, so just the salad has a can full now and again.

There is obviously a serious shortage of water and I think everyone should just be really sensible.

Chauffour - I would go with your Mairie.

This is the link to the Arretes Prefectoral document that gives the details:

http://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/article.php3?id_article=4217

and this is the front page reports on the secheresse:

http://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=741

They now have a table comparing the current drought with that of the '76 drought and we are officially dryer now than then.

In the Tarn we have, since 26th July (no changes in our area yet):

"reglementation des usages de l'eau sur l'ensemble du département du TARN : sont interdits l'arrosage des pelouses, le lavage des véhicules (hors stations de lavage), des cours et chaussées et le remplissage des piscines privées. Cependant, la mise à niveau d'eau des piscines et l'arrosage des potagers sont autorisés de 22h à 7h."

What about flowering plants?  I have assumed pelouses means lawns/grass only and have been watering plants (as sparingly as poss), but in that case why do they specify that veg gardens can only be watered between 22 and 7h?  And does arrosage in this context then refer only to automatic sprinklers or all hand watering as well?

Advice please as I don't want to be visited and fined!

Chrissie (81) 

I was in Gaillac today and their roundabouts looked very nice,  so some watering must be allowed although the river did look very low.  Watering during the night is less wasteful as watering in the heat of the day, that is why it is still OK after dark so to speak. 

My understanding is that arrosage is watering, so that means ALL watering of lawns is prohibited, but you can water plants and veg patches.   Don't worry too much if your lawn is the colour of straw, grass is very resourceful and that little storm on Wednesday has started the growth off again and by Christmas, at this rate it will look very nice again, mind you if it anything like 2003, it will be under water.

• 5 years later...
Hello,

Does anybody know the details of the current water restrictions in the Riberac/ Celles area? I have done lots of searches and all I am able to verify is that there are restrictions but there are no details. Are we allowed to water gardens at specific times or not at all? Grateful for any info. Thank you

[quote user="Chrissie"]

why do they specify that veg gardens can only be watered between 22 and 7h?  And does arrosage in this context then refer only to automatic sprinklers or all hand watering as well?

Advice please as I don't want to be visited and fined!

Chrissie (81) 

[/quote]

Why overnight? Simply because the water sinks deeper into the soil and into your plants roots before a hot sun comes out and dries everything up.

Arrosage I have always taken to mean any watering using mains or ground water (wells, extraction from rivers etc) but I could well be wrong.