Thats it decision made!!

Not knowing what your taste is - if you like countryside, I would concentrate on Lot & Garonne, and leave out the Landes (too much of it covered by pine forests.)

If you like to be near a big city, Gironde.

If you like seaside, Pyrenees Atlantique.

Wouldn't you know, TQ, I have a property between Angoulême and Bordeaux (one hour to each place and one hour to the estuary) and, although not yet on the market, have been thinking about it now it's summer and there is a lot of grass to cut!

PM or email me if you are interested but I don't like to be the first to make contact as you might think I'm being a bit pushy [:$]

[quote user="idun"]

Brittany bland? From Brest to St Malo via the coast is just about my favourite bit of France.

Remember the winters could well be a lot lot colder further south, even though the summers can be hot.

[/quote]

Beautiful to look at and wonderful to drive around in the summer for a week or two, rural France can still be bland and boring if you lived there for 52 weeks of the year!

Of my 1300 weeks in a montagne village with wonderful views, the last 300 odd were very very very boring......... I don't think that TQ has been in France 'that' long.

I like the bretons, on holiday we always found them the most friendly of anywhere we visited in France. And we had quite a few breton friends where we lived. I can think of far worse places to live.

[quote user="idun"]

Of my 1300 weeks in a montagne village with wonderful views, the last 300 odd were very very very boring......... I don't think that TQ has been in France 'that' long.

I like the bretons, on holiday we always found them the most friendly of anywhere we visited in France. And we had quite a few breton friends where we lived. I can think of far worse places to live.

[/quote]

I have been visiting france regulary for 13 years and lived here ( not as an englishman in france ) but actually worked intergrated into the community for the last 8.

I never said anything about the Bretons , and my wife being one is the truth.

Alot people possible have never been to the area where we live hence the lack of English here.

all the house look the same and even walking along the coast is a chore with the wind that constantly blows off the atlantic.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Wouldn't you know, TQ, I have a property between Angoulême and Bordeaux (one hour to each place and one hour to the estuary) and, although not yet on the market, have been thinking about it now it's summer and there is a lot of grass to cut!

PM or email me if you are interested but I don't like to be the first to make contact as you might think I'm being a bit pushy [:$]

[/quote]

Sweets, think you are outdoing a certain Princess [:D]

Only joking - why not use the opportunity

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

Sweets, think you are outdoing a certain Princess [:D]

Only joking - why not use the opportunity

Paul

[/quote]

Paul, I promise you, that Austrian woman has nothing on me when it comes to pushiness........[:P]

French friends live most of the year in La Rochelle and say it's very nice.  They come to our little corner of Tarn et Garonne in summer and up to the end of October.

Inland is not always cold!  We seldom have snow, but friends in the other corner of the department have much colder weather and often heavy snow.   Nearer the coast, I thought Carcassonne would be warmer but it is often very cold and often windy.

It is very unusual for it to be windy here!

TQ, I've camped at Porspoder almost on the beach (awful site, beautiful sight) and on the north coast of Brittany and sites south of Douaranez, in summer.I cannot say I've noticed the evening wind particularly. 

Still I'm from and moved back to the north east coast of England and, well, we do get a bit of a wind here too and that is why I rarely go out without a cardigan, jumper or coat, in summer!!!! Still we tend to have warm areas of the garden that is sheltered from the wind, walls strategically placed etc............and can be rather nice and warm.

[quote user="Patf"]Tim - parts of Aquitaine can be very cold in the winter. The further inland you go, the colder it gets.

Best to be near the coast. where it's milder. [/quote]

I'm near the coast in Aquitaine and I can tell you that winters are relatively mild compared to inland.

Until the 2011-12 winter, we hadn't much frost so geraniums survived the winter in a warm spot next to the house, for instance.  This winter was different and we did have frost for the first time since moving here several years ago.

[quote user="sweet 17"] Wouldn't you know, TQ, I have a property between Angoulême and Bordeaux (one hour to each place and one hour to the estuary) and, although not yet on the market, have been thinking about it now it's summer and there is a lot of grass to cut! [/quote]

Don't forget Sweet's; bun in the oven, coffee pot on, fresh flowers on the table[Www]

You know what, britgirl, I used the breadmaker to make Clair's brioche and it turned out an absolute disaster!

On second thoughts, I don't think anyone would be greatly impressed by the smell of BURNT brioche?[:(]

I think these beautiful words written by Shel Silverstien and sung by Dr Hook might "fit the bill"

I can't turn back time for you, and make you sweet sixteen again

I can't turn your barren fields to green again

And I won't sit around and talk of how things might have been again

No I can't turn back time and make you young again

I can't turn back time and make you young