Young Family new to France.

We're living near Montaigu du Quercy, Tarn et Garonne for the next seven months. We're a family of three, two adults and a daughter of almost three from Brighton.

We are smitten with the area but there's one thing lacking. Friends of a similar age, we are both in our early 40's and although we have met many lovely older people we'd welcome the opportunity to meet some people nearer to us in years.

We are fun loving and active family. Make contact, say hi! We'd love to hear from you.

Best

Alkin

Alkin, most Brits resident in France and members of this and other similar French forums tend to be early retirees or retirees in their late fifties, sixties and seventies.

I don't know your area but on the assumption it is rural, you will find the younger people in France have been gravitating over the last decade or so to the cities for work, hence the older demographic you may be experiencing.

There was a period between 2002 to 2008 when some younger Brits with families were moving to France to give it a go, but that seems to have petered out with the economic crisis, weak £ and difficulty in finding work in France.

Enjoy your seven months in France, but I am curious you choose to stay over winter, as much of rural France goes into hibernation behind closed shutters that time of year.

[quote user="Alkin"]We're living near Montaigu du Quercy, Tarn et Garonne for the next seven months. We're a family of three, two adults and a daughter of almost three from Brighton. We are smitten with the area but there's one thing lacking. Friends of a similar age, we are both in our early 40's and although we have met many lovely older people we'd welcome the opportunity to meet some people nearer to us in years. We are fun loving and active family. Make contact, say hi! We'd love to hear from you. Best Alkin[/quote]

As was said, often younger french people leave rural areas to find work. In fact that is one of the reasons so much 'cheap' property was available to non-french people, as some areas were not tenable for the local population.

Still no matter the area, there will be some french people of your own age, around. If your daughter is almost three and is three this year, 2012, isn't she attending the local 'Maternelle'? A good way, in my opinion to meet people, well other parents who can and in my experience do become friends.

Most villages have associations you can join, ask at the Mairie.