Bordeaux?

We have our 5th wed aniv (20 years) coming up late next month and have the idea of spending a few daze in Bordeaux. We would like to stay in an hotel in the centre with private parking.

The only one I've found via booking.com is the Mercure in the centre on rue Robert Lateulade.

Any other ideas would be welcomed please folks

Bordeaux 2nd on the New York Times list of places to visit!

A good choice but I can't help with suggestions for a good hotel. I have stayed in the Campanile near the station which is fine for an overnight stopover but maybe not where you'd choose for an anniversary break.

Air bandb list rooms and apartments in Bordeaux, some look exotic but you never can tell.

"I might stay HERE"

Crikey Pierre! That is a bit steep for us at 1500€ for 4 nights mate [:-))], but ta for the idea.

I'll also see about contacting the TI office. We will be doing a late booking as it will be a bit pointless going if it's hissing it down with the wet stuff.

Ta too Cendrillion [:D]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Any other ideas would be welcomed please folks

[/quote]

We stayed in an aparthotel at Meriadeck so we could walk into the city centre. There was underground parking for our car.

The one we used seems to be closed but I think that is because it has been bought out and is under redevelopment.

Aparthotels are great - for 3 adults we had a good bedroom, with access to a balcony, a good lounge (with sound sofa-bed) with TV and all the usual plus access to the balcony, a bathroom, toilet, large hall and kitchenette with fridge, kettle, coffee machine, and small hob.

You could eat meals in the hotel if you wanted to  to or just pay for the room. We found it by asking at the tourist office, simply because we knew nothing at all about Bordeaux before deciding to stay there on a whim after staying in St Emilion.

Sue

That sounds like the place I thought would be recommended.

I'm pleased to hear you recommend Apparthôtels as that is what I have created [:)] It is so well recieved by families, business travellers and especially females with or without children that I am surprised they are so few and far between.

The fiscality of a small enterprise is very attractive and hôtels are on a hiding to nothing even before having to pay reception staff, and run a restaurant and bar.

For a family of 3 or 4, two couples, or one couple and 2 other adults I am a quarter of the price of the cheapest hôtel, often they will book 2 apartments to have more space, its double money for me and still half price for them.

Chambre d'hôtes often require 2 rooms to be taken like the hôtels

My only surprise is how little the kitchens are used, like never [:D] people will use the fridges, make coffee, eat an uncooked breakfast but some of the hobs and microwaves have never been used, none of the halogen table top ovens have ever been used, and yet the authorities still insist that you must have a pressure cooker and a salad spinner in each apartment, the irons and ironing boards have never been used either, the majority of people dont even hang up their clothes, the launderette (free) is well used and often abused, the showers take a real hammering every morning and night which I guess means that people like them, I will have to fit flow limiters in the shower heads to curb their enthusiasm and reduce my water bill.

I've stayed in the Adagio aparthotels , the Ibis budget and the Ibis. All have some allocated parking although I think you have to book in advance. The Ibis budget is great for work but very basic.. The Ibis itself is a bit nicer...neither are luxurious but then there is so much to do in Bordeaux I never really care about not being anywhere nice. My French teacher's daughter works here. http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/le-boutique-bordeaux.en.html?aid=311984;label=le-boutique-bordeaux-H33us48PFEnKQeORJUn6dAS67644447193:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg:fi:tikwd-3226947094:lp9055606:li:dec:dm;ws=&gclid=CJ3ov4nGqcoCFUn4wgodqsYM7A

I case that doesn't work, it's called the Boutique hotel. Apparently all the government officials stay there when in Bordeaux.

L'invitation de voyage - B & B with secure private parking just around the corner. Look it up on trip advisor. Its in a very convenient position (we were able to walk everyway from it) and the owner Fabrice is very welcoming and helpful. Its no 4 star hotel but is very clean and warm.