Possible free accomm in return for work? Any ideas?

Hello all,

I have a house in the Tarn-et-Garonne that's semi-habitable and try as I might, I've never managed yet to earn enough to pay artisans to do the work it needs, although I've slowly improved it a bit over the years. I'm wondering about trying to find someone who is familiar with building work/roofing and who's willing to use earth/lime mortars, straw bale and such things who might want to live in it for free during the summer in return for doing the work on a bit-by-bit basis, and possibly stay long-term if they want to and oversee it as an airbnb when it's in a more appropriate state, Can any of you see pitfalls in this idea or do you think it would be a reasonable exchange? Is it the kind of thing any of you would consider? I also have a feeling I might have to pay tax on the non-existent income as it would be payment in kind. Does anyone have any info, ideas, suggestions or warnings?

Many thanks,

Tessa

Personally, I wouldn't even think of going there! Too many pitfalls and legal and other implications.  And should the work be not up to standard, or worse be dangerous to occupants of the house......?  I don't need to spell out the potential for tears.

Thanks Nomoss - actually I have already registered myself on workaway, which seems v interesting - but the stays listed on there are more short term, whereas I was thinking of a longer-term thing. It might be better to stick with short term, though, as perhaps less likely I will end up with a squatter who does nothing! I think I need to look at it again.

Thanks for your reply Mint! I take what you've said on board and I would intend, of course, to get proof that the person I took in was experienced and could provide examples and refs re work they'd done in the past, and get a CRB check (called something different now I think). You can never be absolutely sure someone is honest, I know, but I suppose with the right checks I could go some way towards it. It would be handy to know what are the legal and other implications, too - I can't seem to find any info on this at the mo. Well, will keep looking!

Thanks for that, NormanH. I read through it, but although it talks a lot about why you shouldn't do 'black' work (they'd be interested to know that almost all the French residents of my village in France do, though! lol) it doesn't actually point me in any direction where I could find out how to ensure I do pay my dues if I should consider doing something like this. Interestingly, the 'workaway' arrangement that's been mentioned here doesn't seem to fall foul of the authorities, and this works on the same idea - in this case, hosts provide accommodation and meals and workers work up to five hours a day for them - but it's a shorter-term thing, from weeks to months usually. I wonder if the relevant bodies will crack down on it at some point.

Yes - a warning......don't even go there. Too many pitfalls. Think of what may happen if the work is not up to standard or if, for whatever reason, the 'tenant' refuses to leave your accommodation when you ask them to. I read a recent article in the Connexxion describing a similar set of circumstances. The owner ended up having to sell up when in trying to get her workman/tenant out her legal fees racked up to over €300k.