Rieux Minervois - What's it like?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori wrote the following post at 16 May 2021 13:08:

This one notes the taxe fonciere is 3600€ !!!

Yes very likely .. there is a lot of land and the house is 250m2 and it looks to be modern - some of the tiles we have here and our house was modified in 2007.

The older a house is then, usually, the cheaper the taxe foncière, unless it has been completely made over.

Lori,

As Mint says, there is nothing to beat being there and seeing .. it is very easy to lie with photos, even unintentionally, as with statistics!.

You mention Quillan and St Chinian, in the same sentence.  Not comparable, different parts of the Languedoc, one certainly remoter than the other.  Carcassonne the nearest for good facilities for Quillan (distance, I don't know).  It is hte prefecture town for tghe Aude, which may impact your decision.  ON the whole Aude is a poorer deaprtment than Hérault, where St Chinian is based.  St C is very popular, a reasonable sized town, I know it a little, it's about 30 km for us .. used to attend a monthly meeting there .. but is probably about 20 km from Beziers, reasonable road, which NormanH can tell you more about than I can, but has all the facilities you could want.  Including a sous-prefecture which does its best .. if not always.

Quillan is nearer real mountains, St C, close to the next level down.

Depends always on what you want.

[quote user="NormanH"]That does seem an enormous amount in a village but Judith will have a better idea of TF in that area

[/quote]

Just seen this post and Lori's above .. OK.  I know Caunes Minervois, where it seems that house is.  Good sized village, maybe bigger than ours, which is also a good size, but in the Aude (we are Herault), but only about 30 mins drive away and probably a little closer to Carca than we are.  It is a popular village, lots going for it, a centre for the area, an important abbey / church, I've been but only as a tourist.  Plenty of eateries etc etc.  It's a big house, modern (I don't know how close to the village centre, it is a sort of ribbon village on an alternative way to Carca for us), no pool, but space for one .. 5 beds.  But it is in the Aude .. a poor dept as I have said.  The taxe fonc is more than double ours, it seems, and we do have a pool.  But it should perhaps be best to compare with others in the locality, not mine in the next department (if only just!).

Yes Mint, I would do just as you have done to sell a house.  And yes Judith, we WILL be visiting these areas ourselves as soon as we can.  We are just seeing SO SO SO many lovely homes that fall into our budget and in, what appear to be, gorgeous settings.

The part about the location for the prefecture and sous-prefecture is also very helpful and always important.

What about Limoux?

https://www.audeimmobilier.com/vente/11-aude/1-limoux/46460-villa-avec-piscine-sur-une-hauteur-de-limoux-batie-sur-6316-m/916-villa

Or Couiza (a bit remote I guess, but what a nice setting).

https://www.audeimmobilier.com/vente/11-aude/7-couiza/46485-belle-villa-a-5-minutes-d-esperaza/974-villa

Does the weather vary considerably in these areas?

The Caunes house is here 43°19'47.29" N   2°31'52.55" E

At least it shouldn't get flooded [:)]

The TF for our house, not too far from here, but in a small town with a lot more ameneties, is €1825 p.a. - for 275 m2 single storey house with 800 m2 garden .

Thank you Nomoss.  How do you do that ??  !!   That certainly appears to be the house from the shape of the roofline.  As it is off the main road, I cannot google walk it, but it looks so nice and private.

The weather changes quite a lot as you go inland from the Mediterranean.
Certainly west of Carcassonne perhaps even a bit east of that  you start to lose the climate..

Then  there is altitude of course.

I like  to play with the  weather maps here (you can see arrows with wind direction and speed  or temparatures etc)

Limoux has a certain vivacity especially around the square, but Couiza and Esperaza are very rural

[quote user="Lori"]
Thank you Nomoss.  How do you do that ??  !!   That certainly appears to be the house from the shape of the roofline.  As it is off the main road, I cannot google walk it, but it looks so nice and private.
[/quote]

I know the area quite well, the road to the marble quarry runs just above the house, and I recognised the topography and the style of the house.

We have been to the quarry alone and with visitors a few times, and also used it as a starting point for randonnés in the hills

Lori wrote the following post at 16 May 2021 16:01:

What about Limoux?

https://www.audeimmobilier.com/vente/11-aude/1-limoux/46460-villa-avec-piscine-sur-une-hauteur-de-limoux-batie-sur-6316-m/916-villa

Did you notice that the taxe foncière for this one is 2691€ ?

And it was built in 1975 ..

There is a lot of land with it .. 6300m2

Yes Sue, I did notice the TF.  I'm finding it very interesting that the TF can vary wildly from town to town and house to house.

Wooly - yes, you are right.  We stayed in Bedoin for 13 years.  Our current location was always a 'let's see how we like City living' thing.  The small apartment in Paris was always a temporary first place on the ground apartment that we just kept after our daughter moved out of it.  We had a very good relationship with the owner there.  We knew we would need a bigger space.  Found the bigger space and also found that City living is not for us.  Especially in a Pandemic when things are no longer normal.  Also don't really like renting.  We knew all along that this could be the case.

Thank you Norman for the weather link.  I will check it out.

Nomoss - if the house is still for sale when we get settled in Sainte-Cecile, we will ask for an appointment to see it. 

Thank you all for your expertise.  It is very much appreciated.

[quote user="Lori"]
Yes Mint, I would do just as you have done to sell a house.  And yes Judith, we WILL be visiting these areas ourselves as soon as we can.  We are just seeing SO SO SO many lovely homes that fall into our budget and in, what appear to be, gorgeous settings.

The part about the location for the prefecture and sous-prefecture is also very helpful and always important.

What about Limoux?

Or Couiza (a bit remote I guess, but what a nice setting).

https://www.audeimmobilier.com/vente/11-aude/7-couiza/46485-belle-villa-a-5-minutes-d-esperaza/974-villa

Does the weather vary considerably in these areas?

[/quote]

Yes, the weather varies considerably. Especially in the hills which Limoux and Quillan are approaching .. get in touch when you know when you are coming over .. and it will be easier to anwer questions that way (and we must meet up!).  PM if easier ..

[quote user="nomoss"]
The Caunes house is here 43°19'47.29" N   2°31'52.55" E

At least it shouldn't get flooded [:)]

The TF for our house, not too far from here, but in a small town with a lot more ameneties, is €1825 p.a. - for 275 m2 single storey house with 800 m2 garden .

[/quote]

Nomoss, you probably know that area better than I do, you live on that side of town from what you say, and no, Caune shouldn't flood, but remember Villemoustier etc a couple of years ago .. and all that valley .. can never say never. 

Thank you Judith.  I'll let you know when we are heading over there.  Nice of you to offer your advice.  We would love to hear it.

The house in Caunes is now under contract.  So, we won't be seeing it.  We're on the lookout for more.  I really liked the house in Pradelles-Cabardès, but the level 3 Radon in the region makes me too nervous to pursue it.

"Without looking at the properties I am shocked at the levels of local taxes. Rip off by the look of it

Sue touched on the nub of the matter. The ones Lori are looking at are mainly recent 'villas' that will have had their valeur locative calculated recently. That means that when the TF is revalued it will already be at a realistic level.

There is a looming problem with older properties since the their value was calculated a long time ago and hasn't been brought up to date.

When this happens there could be a steep rise in TF on  those older properties.

(TF does go up, but that is just "Le taux d’imposition voté par les collectivités locales" i.e. the % of the VL decided by the local authority. What hasn't really changed much is the VL which is the base figure)

This process has already started for professional premises

Cynics might see this as a way of clawing  back some of the taxes lost by the abolition of the  TdH, but diverting it, since the TdH used to go into local coffers wheras the TF goes more centrally

[quote user="Judith-aka-Judith"]Remote area, Aude is a poorer dept .. as I said before.  Lori, some of the places you mention are seriously remote and dreary in winter ... no bus service .. and few commerces ... just saying .. the house you are living in is not everything ..

[/quote]

Yes, this is where your knowledge of the area is so important.  We see many houses that look like they offer everything we are looking for, but are just too far away from anything.  At the same time, we see things that say they are 30 minutes from Narbonne or 30 minutes from Carcassonne, 10 minutes from Lezignan, 15 minutes from  Limoux, etc. and that doesn't sound all that remote - but then, maybe sometimes it is.

Like this one:

https://www.bienici.com/annonce/vente/belveze-du-razes/maison/8pieces/ag160456-298158339?q=%2Frecherche%2Fachat%2Faude-11%2Cherault-34%2Fmaisonvilla%2F3-pieces-et-plus%3Fprix-max%3D350000%26surface-min%3D100%26chambres-min%3D3%26surface-terrain-min%3D500%26neuf%3Dnon%26parking%3Doui%26jardin%3Doui%26photo%3Doui%26viagers-exclus%3Doui%26pas-en-residence%3Doui%26tri%3Dpublication-desc

I had a place in Mirepoix for 6 years which is near there, though just over the border in the Ariège.

You could get to Carcassonne reasonably quickly from there and many people from there go to Mirepoix for the English  set and the Monday market.

Toulouse is about an hour for really major shopping or medical needs

Good to know Norman.  Honestly, if the place I just linked was not falling apart, or literally in the boon docks, we'd have to seriously consider it.  We've seen others similar to it also.

At last, back on computer after 24 hours away .. not fun - medical again - and can reply. Lori, NormanH is quite right, lots of places don't look to far away on the  map, until you try it, hills, bends, narrow roads, vignerons .. drivers who can't go up hills, or round bends .. only seeing it can show it ...