Bottles of water hanging outside houses

We have a holiday home in Vias Plage, on our many trips around the area, we came across numerous bottle's of water in front of village homes, some hanging from string and other's just placed in front of the door.
If anyone can explain the reason I would be grateful as it has totally mystified me.

sloe

I asked our local immobilier in l'Herault and was told with some embarrassment that the bottles of water either side of the front door step were to stop the dogs doing 'peepee' in the corners! Seems plausible. Sometimes the simple answers are the best!

K

There's a small village on the island where all the houses seem to have clear plastic bottles full of water placed around their non-fenced gardens.

The theory - strongly held - is that they deter cats. Inexplicably, it seems to work!

Manxie (24)

• 1 month later...
well (sic) the answer is in villages is that they are used ( apart from cat/dog mess) as markers at night for traffic. headlights shine on them enabling the driver(s) not to drive in to your front room. In Eqypt they have clear plastic bags with water in, hung out side shops to keep away the fly's. Though this just seemed to keep the fly"s in the shop!!!