Payable order from HMRC into French account?

NormanH

If it is crossed A/C payee it must go into a UK account

My son just won 25quid on the premium bonds, and rather than reinvest it automatically, they sent him a payable order. He doesn't have a UK bank account. Fortunately we were in the UK last week and the kind lady at Barclays paid it into my account, but it was strictly against the rules she said.

[quote user="NormanH"]Can a 'payable order' from HMRC be paid into a French Bank account, or is it like an English cheque?

I haven't had a English account since the early 90s, so I have no idea what to do with it if it is..

[/quote]

According to the HMRC tax manual, you can send it back and get it re-issued in the name of a nominee who has a UK bank account.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pommanual/paye91030.htm

That sounds  a good idea, but when you fill in the France Individual form there is nowhere to ask for

them to pay direct into a French account, and no question of giving bank

details to receive it.

I also believe they only deal in sterling.

Looks as if I will have to send the order

back, ask them to send it to friends in the UK then ask those friends

to send it as a bank transfer!

We left the UK in 1981 and never closed our bank account in the UK. We left France over four years ago now and still have french bank accounts.

I know people who close accounts, but I never would, having an account in another country can be very handy.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]but it was strictly against the rules she said.[/quote]Clearly not strictly enough it seems [Www]

HMRC are perfectly able to make transfers to foreign bank accounts but individual employees may be too stupid to know it, the French do not have a monopoly on that !