How much?

ViVienne

As the forum has been a bit quite..........

There are a lot of posters on here who ask how much do I need to live on. As we all know it is relative, now I'm not asking how much income anybody has but I am interested in what peoples perception is of

a) a low income

b) a modest income

and

c) a comfortable income.

shall I go first?

a) 10 - 18 thousand euros (I couldn't live on this!)

b)18-28 thousand

c) anything more!

so it would be interesting to see peoples perception from those living in anything from a barrel to a chateau!!

Until I got my OAP last autumn I had never had over 10,000€  a year in all the time I have been in France (one person)

I now consider myself comfortable on around 14-15000€, but I do own a property and have no debts.

A low income to me is under about 7000€, but at that point various allocations often cut in, such as aide pour le logement etc.

We wanted to make trips back to the UK, and as time went by they became more frequent when there was family illness and subsequent funerals.

Our local taxes were expensive, our heating (and lighting) bills were dear and then there was insurance for house and car.  The mutualist to pay for  which can be pricey or fully comprehensive insurance as is required these days under certain circumstances. Bascially our bills were not cheap in France, so living on 1250€ a month would have been possible, but doesn't leave much leverage for enjoyment, travel and house repairs or car repairs.

So yes, possible, but for a couple I wouldn't want to live on less to be honest. I could live on a shoestring budget if I had to, I just never want to.  

edit, I said 1250€ as that is around the SMIC net that many pick up to live on and pay their rents.

[quote user="ViVienne"]

As the forum has been a bit quite..........

There are a lot of posters on here who ask how much do I need to live on. As we all know it is relative, now I'm not asking how much income anybody has but I am interested in what peoples perception is of

a) a low income

b) a modest income

and

c) a comfortable income.

shall I go first?

a) 10 - 18 thousand euros (I couldn't live on this!)

b)18-28 thousand

c) anything more!

so it would be interesting to see peoples perception from those living in anything from a barrel to a chateau!!

[/quote]

Hi,

I tend to agree with your figures ,provided  they are after housing costs ie. the house is owned outright without rent or mortgage costs.

As ever, it depends on your lifestyle choice and requirements.

Since we stopped having to pay a mortgage we have as it were "never had it so good".

I am unable to give figures - but I do know you can live on a lot less than you think you can - and to many your low estimate would be regarded as an extremely good income.

I would regard anything above 28th as more than comfortable ...

More than that, I am not prepared to say.