Social Charges

Mac

These may be silly questions but I tried to find something on the forum which had this info on but couldn't.

a-What do social charges cover?

b- Does everyone pay (if for example you have private health cover do you still pay all of the charges?)

c. How is it assessed?

I don't remember this being a big subject in all the books I read prior to deciding to move to France. Don't get me wrong-it's not a problem (yet!!) to pay if we need to,I am just interested in how the figure is arrived at.

It varies enormously according to your status (employed, self employed, retired) and the sector you work in (farming the professions etc)

A typical list of the charges paid for a worker

http://www.entreprises.ccip.fr/web/reglementation/developpement-entreprise/droit-social/charges-sociales

These are %

Of course if you are retired on a UK pension and your health care here is paid by an S1you have nothing to pay.

[quote user="NormanH"]

Of course if you are retired on a UK pension and your health care here is paid by an S1you have nothing to pay.
[/quote]

I've got to dispute that statement, Norman.

You might not pay social charges on your health care but you DO pay it on other things as we have discussed on Nell's recent thread.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2811075/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="NormanH"]It varies enormously according to your status (employed, self employed, retired) and the sector you work in (farming the professions etc)

A typical list of the charges paid for a worker

http://www.entreprises.ccip.fr/web/reglementation/developpement-entreprise/droit-social/charges-sociales

These are %

[/quote]

Hi,

Most other investment income ie bank interest , dividends , capital gains  etc, and french rental income pays at 15.5% (with no tax free allowance). If your health care is paid under S1 by the UK , you receive little or nothing in return ; best to regard it as what it is --just another bl**ding french tax.

Well, as I have posted elsewhere, our/my income is purely private pensions (actually ex-BR) and the levy is 6.6% for Contribution sociale generalisee, and 0.5% for le remboursement de la dette sociale. These two thus add up to more than the total for income tax which is 6.28%, and benefits from a 10% abattement special before being calculated. The total is about 13.4% of the income, therefore.

I am 64 in a couple of weeks, so have one more year of paying URSSAF charges, too - these have already been recalculated since my recent changed status - so that's one bill that has dropped slightly, being for the current year rather than in arrears.

Deb understood all this stuff, no doubt!

Thanks for the answers but still interested to know-what do the social charges pay for and if I have private health care ( not old enough to get OAP and not working) do you still have to pay ALL the social charges? We rent out our UK home and I think that is included in calculations for the amount.

I told you what they pay for! The whole social security system. There is a list at the site I linked to

The point is that there is no direct link between what you pay and what  personally get.

There are two sorts of charges:

1) those which contribute directly to things like retirement, unemployment benefit etc, all the things on the list.

If you were working and paying these charges you might feel you might benefit from them one day if you were unemployed,  needed housing benefit, had an accident at work etc.

If you are not working or running a business you won't be paying these charges.

2)The two 'killer' charges which are there mainly to reimburse the debt of the Social Security system and which in themselves confer no benefits.

These are the CSG and   the CRDS and they are levied on workers, pensioners and on income from capital

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F2329.xhtml

These are the ones you are probably talking about, but as they don't directly go to pay for health care, and don't give you any cover, the fact of paying private health insurance is irrelevant. You may have to pay them but no-one gets anything directly back from them.

[quote user="Mac"]Thanks for the answers but still interested to know-what do the social charges pay for ...[/quote]

When Sarcozy was around I used to think - as I wrote out the cheque for our contributions sociales payment - s*d the repayment of the social debt - it seemed as though OH and I were paying for the very expensive presidential airplane. It was pointed out to me that it was considered more economical and more secure for Sarcozy/Hollande to travel safely in a private plane. My thought then was they could hire a plane if it was needed - surely that would be cheaper. But this is France and presidents of  France don't do cheaper.

So we pay.

Sue

What's it for?

Well, the ones that stung the most, as far as I am concerned are the CSG etc which were brought in to help pay off the terrible black hole which is the health care budget. And basically was a stealth tax and that is how I still look upon it. Little seemed to happen to make the health service more efficient and stop money being wasted and until that is sorted out I don't know how they can stop this deficit getting bigger and bigger.

One thing did work though[Www] these taxes were to 'get' as many people as they could to pay towards this......... and from the looks of it, they have!

I normally pay around 75€ for social charges in relation to our gite income.

However this year it has come through for 275€, which I assume is for my UK pension (which should be exempt).

I have written contesting this part of it, so waiting to hear.

However, the date for payment is by 14th November.

So, if I don't hear back from them by 14th, do I pay or wait until I hear from them?

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that  a public-service pension from the UK is exempt from CSG even if you don't have an S1, but as usual parsnips and Sunday Driver are the best people to answer.

This page

says

" If you are in receipt of a 'government service pension' taxed in the UK

you also escape the social charges by virtue of the Double Taxation

Convention between the UK and France, as under the DTC the social

charges are considered to be a 'tax'."