Tax Habitation

hakunamatata

I went to the tax office today to ask for an explanation of the calculation. The lady there produced an official looking table of figures from her desk (one that I had never seen before and which bore no resemblance to any of the tables of figures produced in the French tax website). She pointed out a figure that she said was below my RFR, indicating that the full tax had to be paid. She sounded as if she knew what she was talking about so I went and paid it.

[quote user="stan"][quote user="Kelly"]

Hi, i don't suppose you remember what the figure was, by any chance.

[/quote]

I think it was around €18,100 for 2.5parts, which was below my RFR of 20475 with 2.5parts.

[/quote]

Having looked at your table, it was the €18052 that I was shown, so you are perfectly correct Kelly, many thanks.

I haven't looked at this thread closely because it's not something that affects me (sorry, but you can't, after all, look at everything on here).

However, this morning, a fellow student at French class tells me that she is having to pay TH this year because, as a widow, she'd been getting 1.5 parts but now this has been reduced to only 1 part.

Is this true, has she got it right?  She only has a very modest income and I have been a bit worried about her mental state.  As she doesn't speak English and I don't speak German and as we can only speak French with varying degrees of mutual understanding, I am asking this question on here.

If true, surely a lot of people will be affected and surely a proportion of those would be financially vulnerable?

What, if anything, can my friend do if this 1 part change is correct and she can't pay?[:(]

Veufs ou veuves

* sans enfant et sans personnes à charge : 1 part

* sans personnes à charge mais ayant élevé au moins un enfant : 1,5 part

Il s'agit d'un ou plusieurs enfants majeurs, imposés

séparément ou décédés après l'âge de 16 ans (ou avant s'il s'agit de

faits de guerre). Le même avantage est accordé, sous les mêmes

conditions, aux personnes ayant adopté un enfant.

Cette demi-part supplémentaire est réservée aux contribuables qui

vivent seuls au 1er janvier de l'année d'imposition (ou avec un enfant

mineur ou un membre de leur famille).

Le contribuable doit avoir élevé l'enfant pendant au moins cinq ans

alors qu'il vivait seul, ces cinq ans pouvant être consécutifs ou non.

Les contribuables ne remplissant pas cette condition verront leur

demi-part supprimée progressivement d'ici 2012.

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/contents/impot-revenu-declaration/imp115-impot-sur-le-revenu-quotient-familial.php3

Does this help? http://doc.impots.gouv.fr/aida/brochures_ir2012/ud_093.html

It does mention that widows generally get 1 part and then says that in some cases they get 1.5.  The explanation note for getting 1.5 says: "Vous remplissez des conditions prévues par les cases P, L, E ou K (si

vous avez déjà bénéficié de la demi-part supplémentaire de 2008 à 2010),

G, W du cadre A, page 2 de la déclaration." if that means anything to anybody.

Yes. Divorced and widowed people who had brought up a child  as a single person for  period of at least 5 years used to get an extra half part.

That is being phased out from the end of this year. Although no longer the case technically this year, it was still applied this year  to allow for the change.

• 2 weeks later...
So dear reader, I started this thread recently and was interested in all your comments and replies. In the end, through our disgraceful lack of knowledge and expertise in the French language coupled with health problems leading to other things on our mind, we paid the bill for the Habitation. Today, would you believe it, the authorities have returned our cheque and told us we have nothing to pay. No explanation just here is your cheque back!!!!!. Je ne comprend pas as they say!    Also in the same post another revelation. My husband has been trying for a disablement badge for the car for over a year. Last week they told him he was not eligible but lo in the post today he received a badge for the car, C'est le France, what is going on here! At least it brings a smile to the oncoming winter! Words fail me