It`s starting down here....

Like Quillan I was born and brought up in a village and therefore going to the salle des fetes is something I am used to.   We used to go to almost everything in the village hall, primarily because it was something to do in a very quiet spot.   Then I moved to London and this kind of thing was not really available - plus studying, working and travelling in a big city tale up so much of your time that it's difficult to fit it in.   So I was very pleased to be able to join in things in the village.   I work away during the week so don't have the time to be on committees etc, but we do go to everything in the salle des fetes that interests us (I pass up on the loto quine etc because I don't enjoy it).   I really don't think it has much to do with snobbery, inverted or otherwise, more passing the time in a convivial fashion with people I like.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Quillan"]

those around us be them English, French green [/quote]

Go on, Quillan, you know you're itching to tell us....... some of your best friends are French green, aren't they?  [:)]

[/quote]

Leave me alone I am sulking (sniff), just got back to the hotel from THE rugby (sniff). I forgot to put a comma in, so what (sniff) we can't all be perfect (sniff) I going back to my mini bar now and expect to get very, veryyyyy drunk (sniff).

[quote user="le bouffon"]Just found this out,some of the more self important of the brits down(66) here want to start up a boycot of all shops that do not offer the customer service level of the UK,laugh nearly fell off my chair,where will she shop?[/quote]

Seriously? That is atrocious. Why move to France, or anywhere else for that matter, to replicate your former life and, worse, try to force that on the local people?

But le bouffon from your posts in this thread I'm assuming that you too are British, and if this is the case are you not part of the problem of escalating house prices? You may have been lucky enough to get in earlier than others but does that totally absolve you of any responsibility?

[quote user="le bouffon"]Just found this out,some of the more self important of the brits down(66) here want to start up a boycot of all shops that do not offer the customer service level of the UK,laugh nearly fell off my chair,where will she shop?[/quote]

Are you referring to the Anglophone Direct forum ? If so may I suggest that its a bit extreme to call it a boycott.

Admittedly the thread starts with a headline like 'places to avoid', but its more of a tea-room conversation of bad examples - including commentary about places like Perpignan airport. AND with comments about good places as  well.

and p.s.

Although I don't live in France full time I doubt my views would change about the cliques.

I think it wrong for any immigrant group; wealthy or poor, black. brown or white, to be insular or demand everything like it was back home or to restrict trading to their own community where possible.

Cheers

Well I do live here and IF you start to live down here you might see things from another angle,as for the three or four posters on english in 66,well do a search  and what you may come up with is English servive direct,and there you will find every thing one needs to live in France provided by ENGLISH  tradesmen,change overs for second home owners sheet washing etc do I need to go on?????????

[quote user="Owens88"]

I think it wrong for any immigrant group;

wealthy or poor, black. brown or white, to be insular or demand

everything like it was back home or to restrict trading to their own

community where possible.

[/quote]

I don't think you need to be living in France to experience that 

- come and live near us and see the (self created) Asian ghettos. 

Its impossible to walk in certain areas of our city without risk of

intimidation and actual physical violence.  My nephew and his

friend were violently assaulted for daring to walk through a public

park in an Asian part of town - both required hospital treatment for

fairly serious injuries.  In other areas of the city there are

Eastern European sections, Polish areas, the Jewish quarter, China town

- I could go on.   But whatever the nationality - a ghetto is a

ghetto - be it Brits isolating themselve in France or Muslims demanding

separate schooling, shops etc.  A refusal to integrate leads to

isolation, resentment, misunderstanding and, ultimately, racial tension.

Hastobe

Bouffon I agree that any group of immigrants who try and only/mainly mix together and trade together will eventually incur the ire of the natives. I said that.

However that is not the same as some people getting together and having a chat about stuff - no different than this forum eh ?