Is anyone taking notice of progress? Is the square at the top of the town now glistening with fountains and smart footpaths? Can you still park a car there? Is there still a public urinal? And is there any mole news?

BTW, conversation on the site has become very serious since I last looked regularly. What has hapened?

"Bloody cold in Winter" when was that then, 21 in the shade yesterday, OK that was the hottest but we have had a regular 18 and 19 deg over the last few weeks ('C' that is).

The work in Quillan is progressing at a fast pace (for the French anyway). The new paving is being installed as we speak and the Mayor said that it's on time to be finished this month (ha ha). The campsite is being extended and the final decider has been made on the Lake and Formica sites. The lake is going ahead, Espina has permission for hotel refused but the Formica site will have a holiday complex including a new hotel, fun park and cabins all owned by the council (which is possibly why the other hotel failed to get planning).

This is great stuff we are now getting demonsrations (last Saturday) about the lake, the building and the banning of cars from the town centre, I don't think the Mayor will get re-ellected next time round, just about everyone has some form of complaint. They say (thats the locals) in all something like 7.5M Euro's will be spent over the next 3 years and it will create 60 to 100 jobs when closing Formica and the Huntsman cost 6,500 jobs.

Still it changes quicker than the weather down here so seeing is believing at the end of the day.

Ah, now that's more like it. Excitement, controversy and more than a whiff of scandal.  That's what I love about Quillan. And can we entertain hope that some up and coming author will follow in the footsteps of Clochemerle? I've heard my neighbours comment that people will continue to drive through Quillan to somewhere else, just so long as there is no particular reason to stop. Sounds like things are livening-up. Can't wait to get back.

How are the moles Chris. We had a massive attack last year, and I daresay that will continue unless I can do something about it. We also had wild boar and deer!

I forgot there is of course the new arena which is where the old petanque used to be played (They have an indoor club now on the other side of town). This is where the folk festivals and alike will play in the summer which should really piss the Brits off who all live over that side of town. Don't forget the folk and then the jazz festival last 3 weeks between them and they start at 10:00pm every night for 3 hours (we can just about hear them in Cavirac). On top of this there is the two week festival as well complete with circus.

The locals don't understand why they will have to pay to park in the town; the first meter is now installed outside the mayor’s office and next to town police station. I am told by one of the plods who lives a few doors up that they put it there so the mayor can admire it from his office window and the locals will think twice about breaking it what with it being outside the cop shop and all.

They are also bitching, and in I agree with them, about the other square being paved over, fountain installed and made a no parking area. This is very handy for me as I can swoop in and park outside the bead shop to get my stuff for the guests then rush out, jump back in the car and return to Quillie Towers toot sweet, not after April I won't.

The moles won I'm afraid. I have laid a new base and rebuild the railway outside the lounge now so I can sit and watch telly with my 410 and keep an eye out for any signs of Mole bin Laden. Nice to hear you have some pigs and deer, we have run out down here since I got the old 410. If they are the nice 'Bambi' looking deer I might pop up and bag a few at your place, very succulent and cook well on the BBQ.

We fast approach the fishing season so I have ordered a brace of hand grenades (I did ask Mole Bin Laden if he had any spare, just on the off chance) as we are allowed to keep the salmon this year. What is it with these guys; standing up to their willies in icy cold water for hours on end slinging their hook around, just drop a grenade in and up they come. I suppose we will have the odd pillock trying to walk through the garden again but I have now learnt all those French insults and swear words so I should be able to get my point over a bit better this year. I have bought 10kg of itching powder which I shall be spreading around the day before that should stop the bastards from shitting in MY woods this year. I have no idea why they do this, don't they like me playing Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory and Abbas' Waterloo not to mention my union jack in the garden, I just don't understand it. You try to educate these people and get them to speak a civilised language (English) and this is how they treat you. It's just not cricket.

Well I am off down the Rugby club now to pick up my two tickets to THE game Sunday week. Her in doors is a fed up. I have told her she can take the credit card for an outing in Paris while we chaps have a few beers in the Sports Bar before watching the game. Trouble is my mate’s wife has just told her that the shops are closed even in Paris on a Sunday.

Toodle Pip

Was it me really who said that there was nowt t`do in quillan,wild boar and venison on the BBQ and all the VdP rouge one can drink to wash it down,might just bring the caravan out and park it on pip robs drive,and after all that red meat go midnight(summer time only) skinny dipping in robs new swimming pool...........!

You know I was thinking of something sarcasticly witty, well I am told it was thinking as I had a headache and pictures flashed before my eyes, but it seems you beat us all to it. I am not sure the respecable and cloistered people of our region are ready for the sight of Mr O naked at any time of the day OR night. I bet it was him that peed in the pool last time [:)] .

[quote user="le bouffon"]

Last time I stopped off in the town of the never ending rain cloud known as quillan,I never saw a swinning pool,and not much sun to boot,that is until I passed into gods own dept of 66(land of the catalans).Beunos noches.

[/quote]

I wish it would bloody rain it's such a chore watering the plants in 21 deg C (19 yesterdy and yes thats in the shade), still it must of been a least 3 or 4 degrees hotter down in 66. Poor old GB struggling at 5 deg I see on the telly, Oh dear how absolutly terrible [;)] .

So it's you lot that have caused the old red days on Tempo. Good old Tempo you can always tell when somebody is getting it somewhere. Fortunatly this year our red days have all been on quite sunny and warm days, the white as well. Last year was really bad, bloody freezing and loads of red days all together as well, must have burnt a complete forest on the old fire. Still the first bulbs are up, the cherry tree is ready to burst and my early spuds are in AND growing. Now should I put my carrot seeds out? Ah happy days. Bet it pees down next weekend what with the rugby and all.

I have had some red days too. The EDF don't seem to liase with Meteo France very well as sometimes we have very cold spells and no red days and then it is milder and we get them.

Incidentally for EJP at least it is not universal and is done by regions. I don't know how Tempo works.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="le bouffon"]

Last time I stopped off in the town of the never ending rain cloud known as quillan,I never saw a swinning pool,and not much sun to boot,that is until I passed into gods own dept of 66(land of the catalans).Beunos noches.

[/quote]

I wish it would bloody rain it's such a chore watering the plants in 21 deg C (19 yesterdy and yes thats in the shade), still it must of been a least 3 or 4 degrees hotter down in 66. Poor old GB struggling at 5 deg I see on the telly, Oh dear how absolutly terrible [;)] .

[/quote]

5 dgrees in England! I was there last week , just on the edge of the Pennines.........do not think it hit that high temp all the week I was there, more like -5 in the afternoon with the wind chill. I forgot how much I cannot cope with the cold, my idea now of low temps is 2 degees in the morning and 10 in the afternoon. I didn`t take my fleece of in the house for about 4 days and the girls never stopped commenting about how cold they were, I had to go and buy them thicker socks and more woolies.

Mrs O

PS Rob, sorry we hijacked your post............would not want anyone reporting us for it, oh and do you like my signature file, apparently some folks think I am a cross dresser and post as someone else.........do not think his 33 leg jeans would fit me , do you?

Well, listening to you guys, it'll be hard to decide what to do 'second' when we get back. 'First' it'll be the sitting about, re-adjusting. But when we're fed-up with that we'll have to decide which of Quillan's many delights to concentrate on.

Got to get the pool up and running again. That'll be fun (not). Then get the wilderness under some kind of control. Then find out how the rugby team is doing - with 6 Vice Presidents the club shouldn't have been short of inspired leadership this season. Wonder how its doing.

And of course we'll need to have a few teach-ins from Chris on how to trap the deer and the boar (and the moles) - could be on to some real culinary potential here, especially in the barbecue department. There will need to be a house warming party - a year late but never mind. And then I need to attend another bulk-wine purchasing and drinking course run by a crazed and bearded geezer I know near Perpignan. Ah, his long-suffering missus!  By, but he knows his grogg.

Suppose I'll also have to re-learn my way around the town. Sounds like everything has changed. But as long as the really miserable short haired blond is still scowling at her 'foriegn' customers in the green grocers opposite the Banque Populaire, I will quickly feel at home.

Its miserable here as usual. So just save some sun.

[quote user="Piprob"]

Then find out how the rugby team is doing - with 6 Vice Presidents the club shouldn't have been short of inspired leadership this season. Wonder how its doing.

[/quote]

Well as a sponsor and as a paid up member (only missed two games this season) I am a bit pissed off. We couldn't put a second team out last week because we have 8 players in the first team out with injury and we needed the players for the first team. Fortunatly it was Pamiers so we won. This week same team at St Girons (away match) and lost 40 - 6. Mind you the fighting was as good as normal. The just got on the pitch and the game had not even started and they were at it. The ref took them all off which did not please me after fighting my way across in all that snow because I thought he might abandon the game. They (St Girons) systimatically crippled our team to the point where the trainer ran out of men, send the 'water boy' on to play and also our linesman (each team supplies a linesman at this level). The best thing about the whole day was the meal we had before the game a St Girons a the hotel, 5 courses, all absolutly ecellent and far better than anything in Quillan, plus booze cost 30€ each and well worth the money.

Anyway got my tickets for next Sunday, my mate is flying down to Puivert, picking me up, of to Paris, nice B&B then to watch the English beat the French (I hope). Mind you it could be interesting with both teams playing so badly this year. Whoes going to win the Wales Italy match then, my monies on Italy.

[quote user="Piprob"]

Suppose I'll also have to re-learn my way around the town. Sounds like everything has changed. But as long as the really miserable short haired blond is still scowling at her 'foriegn' customers in the green grocers opposite the Banque Populaire, I will quickly feel at home.

[/quote]

You have to get around town in the first place beofer you try and find things, it's like an army assualt course at the moment. As for the waether it was fine till Saturday then it drpped to -1 and snowed.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="le bouffon"]Oh no,not me,I could never compete with life in the world hub(Quillan the land that time passed by).Thought I saw a T-rex when I passed through the other week trying to hide in them there hills.[/quote]

Chris,   you might need a bigger gun and barbeque,  "get it on, get it on, get it on"

Terry

We are breeding a couple behind Belvianes for BBQ at the Fete this year. Well Quillan has it's whole cow BBQ so we thought we would go one better. It's a real pain getting hold of a breeding pair one has to travel down to 66. Don't they have Europes oldest man down there? Does he post on the forum?