Does anyone have any suggestions for a round trip on this train? The complete round trip Villefranche to Latour-de-Carol and back seems a bit long at approx. 6 hours and there doesn't seem to be much to do at Latour except wait for the next train back. Villefranche to Mont-Louis and back would be the most convenient for us (and it's a reasonable journey at 90 minutes each way) but is there any other section that would give a more interesting journey plus somewhere reasonable to stop off for some sightseeing and some refreshment? 

There are a number of small towns in the area-Font Romeu springs to mind.Llivia(bit of Spain in France) springs to mind as well but for both of these you need to get off a couple of stations early.

If you are careful with your timings you can break the journey. e.g. we stopped at Mount Louis for a wander and lunch, then went further up on the train  to get some different views and a 20 - 30 min turnround to come back down.

I never thought of 'doing ' llavia from the train and will consider that if there is a next time.

Wrap up warm, even when its warm down at Villefranche !

• 4 weeks later...

The best trip we have done is taking an early train on a Sunday morning to Bourg Madame.  It is a short walk over the border with Spain to Puicerda where there is a market on Sunday mornings.  A late lunch in Spain is had by all before strolling back to France and taking the train to the startpoint.

Have fun

AEB

We found Llivia almost by accident on holiday a few years ago.   It's worth going to for buying cheap booze but not much else - although it's interesting to find a Spanish enclave in France......

Font Romeu is supposed to have the sunshine record for all of France.

Does anyone know if you can take your dog on the train? It's been my hope to take this train journey for years now, but we would be more than reluctant to leave our chokky lab in the car for that length of time.

I have read all sorts of reports of people who have done this journey and it sounds something not to miss, especialy as we live comparitively close here, near Carcassonne..

John.

• 2 weeks later...
You have probably had answers already as I have not looked at the forum for a while but I thought I would mention that last year I took some of my family on the yellow train and we stopped off at Bourge Madame, walked across into Spain to the town there, I think it was called Puigcerda, it was a sunday, there was a very busy and colourful market, and we dined al fresco, loads of resteraunts, and we came back weary but happy!, regards ms