Turn your attention away from this forum for a few weeks and things go off the rails.

There is absolutely no recent posting about the jewel of SE France - Quillan, the quintessence of all things French - (which for the benefit of some contributors has nothing to do with  quinces). There is no up to date news of Quillanaisse refurbishments, nothing about the parking, shopping, the marie or the present state of the public conveniences.

Has Livingfrance changed hands again? Is there a change of leadership? Where have the controversial contributors gone? Who just ordered a veal cutlet?

hello

piprob

yes I know what you mean, i have been scanning the se france thread everyday hoping to find out loads of info on the area (as we pick up our new keys in 7 weeks) and nuthink..............has everyone moved out because im moving in? or am i just paranoid? I have even asked a few questions and only receive one or two answers, I thinks its because the sun is shining and everyone is out side doing thier gardens. while house hunting we visited quillan to look at a couple of houses , but ended up north of carcassonne, but if you have any thing to say about quillan or any surrounding areas im all ears... Do you live there? please dont fall into that big black hole and never hear from you again or i really will get paranoid ...............I jest[;-)]

I too check the SE section of the forum on a regular basis.  I guess I just became convinced that there are only a few of us down here in these parts.  I'm a bit further over from the Carcassone region, but even over here, seems to be TOOOO quiet....

[quote user="Piprob"]

There is absolutely no recent posting about the jewel of SE France - Quillan, the quintessence of all things French - (which for the benefit of some contributors has nothing to do with  quinces). There is no up to date news of Quillanaisse refurbishments, nothing about the parking, shopping, the marie or the present state of the public conveniences. Has Livingfrance changed hands again? Is there a change of leadership? Where have the controversial contributors gone? Who just ordered a veal cutlet?[/quote]

Sounds like you're talking about a very special corner among cathar castles,

thousand year old forest and deep gorges, come of water and rivers. The

discoveries, sung by the troubadours and vibrating with echos of the

water-falls, that only its valleys and quiet forest can reveal. They

will also whisper to people who are willing to hear them the brave

deeds of the local knights. The genuine local cuisine and the wide

range of accommodation are what makes Quillan the ideal place for

enjoyable holidays. Discover nature, history, participate in sports

activities, hike and ride on the cathar paths. All this will leave you

with unforgettable memories. Quillan throws open the door wide to

heartfelt experiences. Quillan, gateway to the Cathar Pyrennes.

Is that the one?  Actually, I suspect it is a very, very special corner you had in mind.

Now you've made me go and have a look around there......... grandiose.  I fell upon this site Chez Chris à Mérial, another Chris with her husband Yves who fell in love with the valley.  Do you know them Chris (Quillan)?  It is certainly an exceptionally beautiful area :

http://www.e-monsite.com/christianedemerial/accueil.html                 There are also some recipes for us greedy ones !

[quote user="Lori"]I too check the SE section of the forum on a regular basis.  I guess I just became convinced that there are only a few of us down here in these parts.  I'm a bit further over from the Carcassone region, but even over here, seems to be TOOOO quiet....[/quote]

Lori ......

I think that it's because we're all shy, quiet and reserved down here. Not like that lot from 'up North'. 

hello

we found a place in pradelles cabardes, a loverly village next to a lake, only 7 weeks till we get the keys, cant wait, we have been staying in caprespine for holidays for the last few years, so it was a perfect find for us, my husband says its perfect to as we have to drive past his favorite wine sellar to get to the house, If you have any interesting knowledge of the area i would love to hear it ? where abouts are you?

regards   

Perhaps you're right, everyone over here is out enjoying the sunshine and swimming the sea or swimming pool.  Still, never too much activity in the SE section.

I'm over by Avignon, so not so near to the Carcassonne folks.  And, yes, perhaps the folks up North enjoy posting a bit more... Oh well.

hi,

i am quite new to the forum but have bought a building plot about 2 miles from quillan. we have put the foundations in and will be back over starting on the blockwork in a few weeks. if anyone would be interested in finding out how we go on, i would gladly post perhaps monthly updates on our progress. we have years of construction experience in the uk but as this is our first time in france we will not be suprised if things do not go as smooth as we would like. but perhaps others may learn from our mistakes or successes. should i post this here or would it be better on the house building pages.

thanks

[quote user="oscar"]

i am quite new to the forum but have bought a building plot about 2 miles from quillan.

[/quote]

Have you met Quillan the Mod?  I assume he's somewhere near you.  Runs a B&B.  I'd be interested in seeing your progress.  Why not start a new thread in the building or living in France sections when you're ready?

dont mind the chilly in the winter bit , just a good reason to have a nice blazing fire, and cuddle up to a good bottle of wine and a good book, still only a car ride to the beaches, and hopfully we will be to high for the biting insects on a summer evening.  

hi cassis,

no i have not met quillan, but i have corresponded with him via e-mail. he lives in the same village/hamlet as our plot and was able to give us some very good advice before we bought the land. i will also take your advice and post a new thread in the building section.

thanks

hello oscar are you abuilder?I know you will be busy for a long while yet, but next year ish i will be looking for some in ternal buiding to be done, knocking down walls and putting them some where different and moving a bathroom up stairs and moving the stairs ect, do you do things like that and when will you be free, i need to save up for about a year before i start as i have just brought the place and also need to spend the time there to work out the best layout for me speak to you sooon  regards 

Oscar ......

Post it where you like.

People here would (I'm sure) be interested in your experiences and you'll learn plenty from the feedback. You'll get the occasional 'sharp comment', but it goes with the territory and you'll probably get more back than you put in. Have a good (hot) Summer.  

[quote user="Lori"]

Perhaps you're right, everyone over here is out enjoying the sunshine and swimming the sea or swimming pool.  Still, never too much activity in the SE section.

I'm over by Avignon, so not so near to the Carcassonne folks.  And, yes, perhaps the folks up North enjoy posting a bit more... Oh well.

[/quote]

Lori ...........

Quite right, but we're quiet people down here. 

Ian - Me too for the most part.  So, can't hold against the folks up North.

Hot as blazes yesterday over here 37 and it felt warmer... not a breeze in the air.  Got a little shower around 10 pm, that was nice.

Much of the same called for today.....

Absolutly stiffling here yesterday, 40 in our shaded garden, no air to be had, it started to thunder and lighten about 6 pm a few drops of rain and then some strong wind. It is much fresher this morning.

It is much fresher this morning.

Yes, here too.  I heard on the radio this morning we should have some wind this afternoon 40 to 60 kms.  I do hope so as it helps cool the place down.  We were in Auchan yesterday and the ice-cream aisle was nearly empty.  Never seen it like that before.   Funny how the deodorant aisle was all stocked up .....   .....

Sounds like Cassis understands the attractions of Quillan. There is so much to admire. The post office's management must have had this in mind when they organised their customer service arrangements. The queue always gets long and often intimate views of the town, as it winds slowly along its attractive streets. I think we have celebrated a family birthday there.

Yes, Quillan is a real Mecca for tourists (well, almost) and I can honestly say Pip and me cannot wait to get back.

(Does anyone know if Chris (Quillan) is still posting here?)

hi pads,

yes i am a builder. we are nhbc registered in the uk but obviousley this carries no weight in france. i would gladly have a look at what you need doing, but we are not registered to work for others in france.  although i would happily have a look and give you some free advice when you are ready. how far are you from quillan?

and thanks for the reply ian

regards oscar

about 30 kms north off carcasonne, if thats any help? we drove to quillan one day it took us about 2ish hours but i am a slow driver. I will keep in touch with you when we are sure what we want , mean while keep us in touch with photos too of what you are doing regards