Water restrictions Aude?

Has anyone heard of any water restrictions in the Carcassonne area? A friend told me that she had heard something on the radio, but did not get all of the broadcast. I've not been able to find anything about it on the web.....

John.

Look on your village notice boards it will be there. They use the EDF helicopter to spot green grass in Aude when there is a ban on. Green grass with no good explination equals 15,000 Euro fine which doubles each time you are caught. I can tell you the Aude is low at the moment.

Cheers Chris,,,

We have had friends staying the past couple of weeks and family arriving tomorrow morn so not too able to look at the Marie window. We will do that on the way out in the morning pert etra?

Looking at the maps on the web site recomended it looks as if we are in the clear.

A friend of ours has a bath each morning and pumps the water out into a water but, so I wonder how she would stand as far as green patches and photographic recon are concerned. Mind you the grass is not the 1st priority, far from it. The lovely plants come first.

I suppose that the chopper photoz would show that the new growth was far cleaner from the soapy water [8-)]?

Thanks for the web address. It's gone onto our favorites list...

John.

P.S. Chris, if you get this side of Carcassonne give us a yell and come in for a coffee (or something  [B]!!!!)

We only have had a water restriction once since being here, the limit was 3 hours per week only for veg. We pump straight out of the Aude to water our garden anyway but only the veg, don't weant to be to greedy. The year we did have restrictions a French couple near by got done for 'forgetting to turn off their automatic watering system', as if they forgot. We have had rain for 3 evenings on the trot which means the grass has gone back to green for a while and will no doubt need cutting. Some may think it not so bad with a sit on mower but it still takes around 3 to 4 hours and if you have beer stops getting back on with a red hot seat is no fun.

Edit - All well and good having a river some may say but as my Belgian guests have just discovered being a modest 11 deg straight from the mountain its a bit cold. Don't think they will be jumping in there again.

Thanks for the invite John, wont be till October I fear.

Chris, on the subject of water shortage, do you know where can I obtain a water butt 'locally'? The car's too small to bring a decent sized one out when we return next week, and we've tried and failed to obtain a 'cube' - the ones that used to be available from Formica. I have the pump ready if the the stream has not run dry but its no use without a container.

Rob, you should be able to get a Butt from any of the DIY stores(castorama springs to mind) or the Cube things from an agricultural outlet(not the small shops the main depots where the farmers/producters buy their spraying gear from) There is one on the road to our nearest town, if I think about it , I shall call in and ask.

Where does your water supply come from? ours is from cannigou and the irrigation canals are full and fast flowing, so plenty of water for the garden.

Thanks Mrs O. We'll call as soon as we're back. Not looking forward to the roads. Very early August is not the best time to be heading south.

We take the water from the stream at the bottom of the garden. It joins the Aude about 200 metres east of us. Up 'till now, the one that draws the short straw puts on wellies, braves the midges and the muddy slopes, and fills two buckets at a time. There are at least four times each time. The outside tap and hose give me a big grin as I come marching up the slope to give the parched undergrowth (sorry, 'garden plants') a drink. But as there's usually a good chance hergoodself will be keeping observation from a discreet distance - ready to acuse me of gross unnecessary expenditure, I don't I use them. How quickly she goes native!

See you soon.

[quote user="Piprob"]

Chris, on the subject of water shortage, do you know where can I obtain a water butt 'locally'? The car's too small to bring a decent sized one out when we return next week, and we've tried and failed to obtain a 'cube' - the ones that used to be available from Formica. I have the pump ready if the the stream has not run dry but its no use without a container.

[/quote]

Hi

we installed 2  500l water butts behind the garage to collect water from the garage roof. We bought them from either Castorama or Leroy Merlin in the sales last year.

Problem is : we've had less than 5mm of rain since April. Works OK in winter, though.

Peter

Thanks Peter. These replies are much appreciated.

BTW, every Saturday morning at around 7:30 am, the gardening 'fanatic' with a potager just across the stream (nouns other than 'fanatic' spring more readily to mind) starts up the noisiest two stroke pump in the world to syphon stream water into his cube. Is there any known deterrent?