Mobile Home/Camper Van attacks in the South East?

My wife was telling me about a report she saw about a spate of attacks and robberies on mobile homes and parked camper vans in the coastal region of South Eastern France.

The attackers - gangs of Albanian kids apparently - spray ether in through the vents of the mobile home/camper van knocking out the occupants before proceeding to break in an empty the place while the occupants sleep on, unaware of what's going on in the same room.

She saw the report on Richard and Judy the other day and it's totally freaked her out in advance of our planned trip to the area in a month's time.

I've been scouring the various online news media and the websites of the Foreign Office, etc looking for articles or warnings and can find nothing.

Does anyone in Languedoc-Rousillon know anything more about it or is it a mountain emerging from a molehill in sensationalist TV style?

Thanks in advance.

It does go on here and in Spain. Just make sure you you a capm site and beware of parking in Aires overnight for free, if you have to, park in service stations with CCTV. ANother option is to put fake French number plates on. They only target non-national vans. BUT remember to remove them in the morning. I have also heard of non-French cars being a big target at supermarkers, both by Albanain and North Africans.

I have heard stories of this sort of thing happening at motorway rest areas. But as you say you will be on proper campsites etc. So basically i wouldn't panic unneccesarily. Obviously it is good to be aware about such things and take some precautions but if people listened to all the funny stuff going on everywhere, they wouldn't leave the house!

Keep it in perspective, what are the actual statistics about this??

I think it may be a bit of a case of media sensationalism, so take it with a pinch of salt!

Have a fab trip over!

Louise

It isn't media sensationalism - there were several cases reported in the Midi Libre a week or two ago, and these were all on the Aires or main Service Stations.

If you're in a mobile on a pukka campsite, you'll be as safe as you'll be anywhere.

Here is a link to a Motor Home site which you might find interesting. There are believers and non believers but also some info on the practicalities of "supposed gassings".

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-17491-days0-orderasc-0.html

It's one of those things where everyone knows somebody who heard someone else mention their uncle had been gassed......

That said, most hardened campers wouldn't dream of exposing themselves to potential danger of robbery by overnighting on one of those autoroutes.  Far better to find a quiet aire de service in some pleasant village with the company of other camping cars.