• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Davidball"]Not sure the reasons why, I don't mind girlie stuff . . .fav movies include You've got Mail, Notting Hill, About a Boy etc . . .but I can tell the difference. . (I'm not gay by the way!)
[/quote]

But froth in films is different to froth in books?

David. I've never read 'The Wayward Bus'. Is it a bad 'un?

It's a while since I read it, but I remember wondering why I was bothering at the time.

Some books are just annyoying. I just left an Ian McEwen (sp?) Book called

Saturday with about 8 pages left . . . I just don't care how it ends, but I did like the

picture on the front as it's taken just outside the office where I'm working at the moment,

and apparently the author lives in the house where the book is set, and that is visible

from our shop window!

Just suffering 'the longest period in 6 years' without a visit to france due to a rather

massive change to my domestic arrangements . . .but looking forward to cutting the grass there next

weekend . . .bet it's not as warm and sunny as it's been here for the last two weeks ;)

David

Hi David.

Serious Grass Cutting can be good therapy, and I can assure you, it will be long [:)]

I do like Ian McEwen, but again, that's one I haven't read. In the end, I prefer to pick a book up and read a few odd pages, to try and get the measure of it. I could never order a novel on-line. Biographies and History, yes, but not a novel.

The weather where I live has been changeable, but this time last year the grass was scorched. It's green now, so I am not complaining. Honest.

Tresco, I do agree that it's much better to be able to flip through the pages with books, but I'm afraid I'm an Amazon baby now.  First, clearly, for English-language series we're not exactly in prime browsing country.  But, to be honest, even in the last few years in the States, the hegemony of the big box bookstores made it difficult to see anything but the bestsellers or perennial authors.  Nothing a little less known was ever stocked, even in the mystery or SF aisles.  I've had a few disappointments, to be sure, but I find that overall, ordering online isn't all that bad.

And, of course, if I'm collecting a series, I buy all the titles anyway!

PG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
From some one who just reads a book for fun. I read this back in april when in Carcassonne house hunting and loved it ( I think you may need to know the area to enjoy it) but it was very strange in the way i would read a few pages each night and the next day we would be driving through Those areas, also while out there before on holidays, my husband had fallen in love with a local wine (one of his main reasons for wanting our house in that area) and it was mentioned in the book , so i may just be linking the book with a very happy period in my life, but i would highly recommend it as a very good light read. My hubby is reading it at the moment and from some one who is not a big reader of novels he says he is really enjoying it and appears to be getting through it quite fast for him. Plus I do intend to read it again this winter as a substitute for not being there.   

I wound up not being able to finish it and donated it to our local library (which has a small English-language section).  Someone I know took it out the day I dropped it off; she couldn't finish it either!

I DID like recognizing places I knew, but that just wasn't enough for me,( she said as she rubbed her fingers sensuously over the cool, hard keys of her computer workstation...)

PG

Having struggled to the end of it, I lent it to a French friend.  She is now 200 plus pages into it and finding it very heavy going.  She summarised the action so far in about three sentences.  The main thing I liked about it was the descriptions of the area around Carcassonne.  The story line was rather predictable.