Tax Habitation - the on going saga

hakunamatata

In November last year I started a thread regarding our tax Habitation which the Impot were claiming after telling us the year before that we need not pay!   We paid up, as you do, and just before Christmas they returned our cheque. Oh joy we thought. Then when I checked our bank account I discovered that had taken the money out!  We have not provided them with a Mandat but lo and behold when I checked our account today they have started taking monthly installments from us.  What the B***** H*** is going on?   It is enough to drive you mad.

They must have your bank details from somewhere. You must have given them authorisation at some time.

Please understand that being liable for Tax d'Habitation or not can change from year to year according to your circumstances.

Many Brits had to pay this year because of the new way of declaring Income tax which showed that their RFR was over the limit for exoneration, whereas the previous method made it appear as if they had a lower income than they really had.

So they take each year as it comes.

If they expect that you will be liable for Tax d'Habitation next year they take these monthly payments till after your tax declaration next year. You should have a letter with the details of these on the bottom

Avis d'Impositon 2012 and a list of monthly payments with the date on the bottom. 15 th Jan 2013...etc

In May 2013 you will make the next tax declaration, and they will calculate your tax position

When they have calculated your RFR    and sent your avis d'Imposition they will know if you have to pay Tax d'hab or not for 2013

If not they will refund what they have taken. If yes they will take the last instalments.

Hi NormanH

It is all very strange we both remember doing a Mandat for Fonciere but now I look at the back statements there is absolutely no sign of the money coming out and yet we have had no communication regarding this,we have never given them our bank details for Habitation however of that I am absolutely certain. I give up, our tax advisor is no help, perhaps we should change to another.

Well if they had a mandat for the fonciere, as for us at least it, all these bills were sorted out in the same office, they will have just used the details that they already had. Remember they can reopen a closed bank account and debit it with the amount they want, and there is nothing you can do about it.

We never heard why they returned our money, we had paid by prelevement and the amount we had paid was correct. I called and called and told them that they had reimbursed us by mistake, but no one would say other than, if we had been reimbursed it must be right.......... and one thing I am sure of, is that it is not!

The Trésor Public will access any bank account they wish to without consent of the holder, simple as that. Usually it is for unpaid bills and they will often block the account and send you a Tiers à Détenteur form to let you know they have blocked it and you must pay them asap. Even opening an account elsewhere and with outstanding debts, they will continue to hound the holder there. I suggest you visit the Trésor office and get it sorted in person, doing it by phone is not the way to go.