Complete France Forum

Short lesson in local history please

I would like to know a little more about the French history especially local to the Aude/ Tarn area. The castle in Carcassonne would be a good starting point. Who built it, when and who has owned /lived there since.? Right now I know nothing.

I was hoping for a soft introduction, nothing to full of facts dates and long names but more in the form of a story but also giving me all the major facts at the same time.

Do you know of any such books written in English that I could make a start on

Many thanks [:)]    

Thanks cooperlola sadley my french is not good enough yet , but Im learning , I was hoping for something i could cuddle up in bed and read, I have had a quick look at the site but hasnt come up with the type of thing Im looking for , any other Ideas [:)]

Pads, I have no idea as to it's historical accuracy but as an interesting and possible start can I recommend "Labyrinth" by Katherine Mosse. It gives some interesting pointers to the Carcassonne of old and is in English. I just hope I have the author right!

It was kate moss and have read it , a while ago and really enjoyed it . That would be the type of thing Id like (maybe a little more facts ) as long as like you said the facts are correct.

Being such a well known castle you would think there would be a lot of books written about it , wouldnt you? I did the guided tour but have forgotten most of it, so must do it again soon.

Thanks for your suggestion[:)] 

I have just been looking on amazon I am surprised at how many I have just found.( carcassonne castle search) Think I may treat my self .

Im a bit like a squirrel in the autum instead of nuts I gather lots of books to keep me going though the winter[:)]

Yes I will have a look in the tourist office next time Im there 

[quote user="Pads"]Is the rough guide not a guide to hotels resturants ect ....... Like the green guide ? If not whos it by ? I'll check it out on the web [/quote]

And a little more besides.

I have the second edition from 2004 & there is quite a bit of history in it too.

It's an ordinary rough guide & cost 18.95 in 2005.

Carcassonne and the Cathar Castles published by Bonechi. ISBN  88.476.0846.5

Carcassonne History and Architecture by Jean Pierré Panouillé, ISBN  2.7373.2497.1

Those 2 are very interesting and if you want info on the Cathars too then have a look at Discovering the Cathars by Lucien Bely ISBN  2.87901.381.X. Lots of info about all the Cathar castles and their history.

I don't think the Labrynth is particulary acurate, but it is very interesting!

We got these books in various shops; including in the Old Cité. Good luck P. It's an incredible history!!!

If you see a book called A short Dog to Carcassonne avoid it. I don't think the bloke could write a letter never mind a book!!!

Hi P, I had a look at Amazon and play.com, but they don't seem to be on either. Probably a local print, but you should be over again soon peut etra ? So they will be easy to find...

Pigspoo is a compliment in my opinion!!! Why use English when you can use 'very bad'? And I have no idea how such a plonker managed to get across the road never mind the Channel, even with a brave pilot!!

I used to hate history until we moved here. Now I love it. There is so much to learn about this area!

Have you ever read the holy blood and the holy grail?

Pretty cool and heavily features Rennes le Chateau, which is just a short drive down from Carca'  toward Limoux.

I'd already read it before moving over here and was pretty impressed when I saw it 'in real life', my partner's father is from Paris and he's a huge fan of all that stuff, so it was quite a treat for him when we drove him down!

Also, my sister bought a book about the history of la cité (in la cité), I'm not sure of the title but it was definitely in English.

Hi Bones, is that Dame Carca or some shorthand for Carcassonne?? Sorry I can never get to terms with shortening names especially when my daughter's name is Janet and she gets called 'J'. [:D]

Yes I agree that it's a wonderful place ad SO much history.

We have The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail on an 8 CD audio book set and listen to it in te evenings. A fantastic listen. I also have the book, but it is easier to listen and it means that you can be doing something else at the same time. Reading and you can get more immersed. Each has it's own advantages!! I love them both!

Most of all we love living here!!

Most of the books are available in that wonderful book shop in Bass Carcassonne called Majuscule not far from Place Carnot towards the Arch and the Theatre Municipal. We could spend hours in there!! And do...

Hello!

Yes I know majuscule (doesn't that mean capital letter? Hang on I'll google it... Yes! Apparently in English too. [:$])

I agree that it's one of those shops you want to just hang around in all afternoon.

And if you're going to engage in a spot of retail therapy then at least there's some merit in a book shop!

Pads:

Holy Blood was written by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln.

The Leigh Teabing character in the Da Vinci Code was a nod to the two main authors; Leigh and Baigent (teabing, of course, being an anagram). Whatever you think of the ideas expressed, it's a really good read. Funnily enough, there's a little bookshop at Rennes Le Château and I'm sure some of them are in English: all good kooky stuff too!

[:)]