New ruling on Winter fuel allowance

Boiling a frog

[quote user="Gengulphus"][quote user="Gardener"]Another knee jerk response from that idiot that is IDS! The areas in France that are suffering from a heatwave at present are often the coldest in winter.[/quote]
Hear, hear !  And blatantly descriminatory too.  Why should equal help not be given to those who are too hot ? 

[/quote]

Some of us could do with a SUMMER fuel allowance!  That would be for the air-conditioning, right?[I]

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I have made you feel less "chirpy".  I only said what I did to wind up the people who think that those of us who have moved abroad should not be entitled to benefits such as WFA [6]

Anyway, hotting up again tomorrow but, thankfully, cooler again after that.

I have not yet recovered completely from my "heat-induced" health problems.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Sorry if I have made you feel less "chirpy".  I only said what I did to wind up the people who think that those of us who have moved abroad should not be entitled to benefits such as WFA [6]

Anyway, hotting up again tomorrow but, thankfully, cooler again after that.

I have not yet recovered completely from my "heat-induced" health problems.

[/quote]Glad to here you are recovering from your heat problems.[:)] IMO there is a hint that WFA should only be paid during the coldest part of year. The clue is in the W. Winter is traditionally the coldest part of the year although in my native Scotland this is not a foregone conclusion. I have known decembers with temperatures over 10 degrees C and Snow in June and July and all the other months. I do remember a neighbour getting Prickly Heat when the temprature one summer reached an amazing 24 degrees[:D]

[quote user="idun"]

........................... When someone choses to move abroad, then I wouldn't send money abroad for anything at all, apart from pensions. It is a choice people make. ...................

[/quote]

But surely WFA is part of the pension. It was conceived to satisfy demands for an overdue increase in pensions, but someone devised a way to do it on the cheap, without upsetting anyone who could still vote. Clever Mr Brown! 

John - I'm not entirely sure this is the form we're waiting for.

It looks like one that the DWP will partially complete and send out to you if you ask - it has blank spaces for a reference number and office phone numbers on page 1, and there's a box on page 2 which the office can tick if they'd like to see your birth certificate.

It doesn't quite look like one to download and fill in yourself. Where did you find it?

It is the correct form

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@over50/documents/digitalasset/dg_202418.pdf

From

Winter Fuel Payment abroad

If you live abroad, you may be able to receive Winter Fuel Payments if all the following apply:

you have reached women’s State Pension age

you live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland

you have a genuine and sufficient link with the UK, for example, you have lived or worked in the UK for most of your working life

If you are in custody under sentence during the qualifying week (17 to 23 September 2012) then you will not be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment.

Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim form, EEA and Switzerland - current year 2012/2013 (WFP3EEA)' (PDF, 130K)

Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim form - EEA and Switzerland for past winters (WFP2)' (PDF, 365K)

Perhaps it is a conspiracy, on the other hand if you read the website information it is perfectly clear where you send the form to.

Winter Fuel Payment abroad

If you live abroad, you may be able to receive Winter Fuel Payments if all the following apply:

you have reached women’s State Pension age

you live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland

you have a genuine and sufficient link with the UK, for example, you have lived or worked in the UK for most of your working life

If you are in custody under sentence during the qualifying week (17 to 23 September 2012) then you will not be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment.

Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim form, EEA and Switzerland - current year 2012/2013 (WFP3EEA)' (PDF, 130K)

Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim form - EEA and Switzerland for past winters (WFP2)' (PDF, 365K)

If you live in the EEA or Switzerland and you need to contact someone about your Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Team at the International Pension Centre is responsible for making Winter Fuel Payments to people who live outside the UK.

Address all correspondence to the Winter Fuel Payment Team.

International Pension Centre

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]Perhaps it is a conspiracy, on the other hand if you read the website information it is perfectly clear where you send the form to. ...........

The Winter Fuel Team at the International Pension Centre is responsible for making Winter Fuel Payments to people who live outside the UK.

Address all correspondence to the Winter Fuel Payment Team.

International Pension Centre[/quote]

BF, I think we're looking at different bits of the UK government's website. The website I found - this bit of the Directgov site - has addresses to send the past years' claim forms, but not for any new claims for the current year. And the new form for new claims has no address on it.

Could you post up a link to show where the address is to return the new claim forms? Or even cut and paste the address?

I just rang Newcastle.

Apparently ([Www]) the 'new' form won't be on the website until Monday 3rd Sept and I understood the lady to say that you've got 2 weeks from the word "Go". How on earth you would be supposed to know that defeats me, but I can only repeat what I've just been told.

Oh ........... and backdating is a no-no.  (Don't rant at me anybody - just repeating what I was told!!)  

Thanks JB.

I suspect the person Gardian spoke to hasn't looked at the website to see whether or not the form is there already.

And I wonder if the reference to "two weeks" might be that the qualifying week for the allowance starts two weeks later than 3rd September (the qualifying week is 17 - 23rd September I believe).

I don't really see that you can fill it in before the qualifying week of the 23rd September, because you can't know if you will be in hospital or custody (?) during that week. On the form it says you have got until March to claim. Or have I misunderstood?

You're both right, NormanH & EmilyA.

How can you second guess what will happen in a few weeks time.

I know sadly only too well how things can change virtually overnight, having recently lost my Sister after less than 4 days of illness.

What makes the form even more confusing is it says "Will you be or were you in hospital .........."

In a way asking you to predict the future.

Mine's being filled in and ready to post after the "qualifying week"

JB

International Pension Centre

Tyneview Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

United Kingdom

Will get it too the correct department.

I sometimes wonder whether some people should be allowed out of the country going by the angst shown on this forum about forms etc.

No one is going to knock on your door in the middle of the night and drag you off to an interment camp or shoot you for filling in a form before the required date.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]No one is going to knock on your door in the middle of the night and drag you off to an interment camp or shoot you for filling in a form before the required date.[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Just an aside & nothing whatsoever to do with possible claimants like us.

Some friends have stayed with us recently. Both single (one divorced, the other a widower) and who may well 'set up' together in the coming months.

If that were to happen, would they still get 'double-bubble' (as it was known where I used to work) even though their address was the same?  I mean, who's to say that they were 'together' as opposed to just living in the same house?

Its a matter of supreme irrelevance to us and our friends - it just came up over our 1st glass of Rose this evening when talking about this interminable thread.