It could have been nasty, but stopped just short.  Locally, the Ceze and Gardon were very high, but there was only very localised & minor flooding, as in a few roads awash.  Sadly, the Midi Libre reported today that some people were missing, presumed drowned.

On Monday this week, we were on the motorway from Montpellier towards Nimes at around 16.00. The heavens opened and it bucketed down for about an hour (it took that long to do what would normally be half that time).  If I could have safely pulled over, I would have done, but it was better to keep going. As hairy a drive as I've ever experienced.  

In Sommieres, the Vidourle rose steadily, but when the water got to 1m below the starting flood level it started to go down. The townspeople were very confident - they hadn't moved their cars from the market place !

Ales and Quissac had minor flooding.

There is an ongoing discussion about the local "autumn showers" here with links to videos.

Peter

Thanks for the update.

We spent 3 weeks in Sept/Oct in the Gard, and expected rain - we took full waterproofs with us. We had nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine for the whole 3 weeks, and we ate breakfast and lunch on the terrace every day. But we still remember the floods of 02, so we always go prepared at that time of year!

Jo