Still trying to sort out everything I need to bring Millie with us this summer! Got the Heartworm tablet

and the Frontline ....

My vet is trying to persuade me that a Scalibor - ProtectorBand is required for Sand Flies

which can apparently infect dogs with Leishmaniasis. Do any of you know whether this is

required in Aude? Or is the vet just trying to get me to spend as much money as possible?!! 

The first year we brought our dog we didn't have a Scalibor collar. The vet in France who did the paperwork for our return trip showed us a map and told us how prevalent the sandflies now are in our area and spreading further north. She advised that we get a Scalibor collar for our visit the following year and thought we were lucky our pet hadn't been bitten. So I don't think your vet is trying to get money out of you. I have just paid £12 for a large collar from our vets.

Although we have an up to date pet passport, our large Vetinary practice discourages us from taking our dog to the South of France, because of the increasing difficulty in protecting dogs from heartworms and ticks that far south.

Apparently, local dogs in that area have better immunity than dogs from colder northern climes.

As far as I am awair Peter we have never seen them on any of the dogs around here and this thread is the first time I have heard of them. Looking at the data sheet on them http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Scalibor_Collar/090_Product_Datasheet.asp the collar sounds iffy if you have young children? I don't think we will be going anywhere near it?

We have used Frontline for about 4 years until about a year ago. Now we use Advantics and have had no trouble at all with either on our English bred chocolate labrador. As far as the rabies jab is concerned it is needed if you want to take your dog back to the U.K. at any time and if you let it lax even by 1 day you will have to start the course of jab, lab checks of the blood sample and 6 months before you can take it into the U.K.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,  Been this week to collect the flea treatment and scalibor collar and asked the vet for Advantix as we are right on the edge of Aude/Tarn - Our vet is now confused as the Advantix (which they do not generally prescribe - they use Frontline as a general rule) gives protection against sandfly and thinks the collar is not required as it may o.d. on the sandfly protection - she has asked me to investigate.  On reading the packaging I think she may be right and that the Advantix alone will be alright - any comments please?

Your help is greatly appreciated - thanks!