Living in Marseillan Plage area

Go and look in low season, especially November- end February.

I would recommend Marseillan town , or Mèze  rather than the 'plage' which is a summer holiday village, but a ghost town in the winter.

The mosquitoes are eradicated annually by  spraying from the air. This was necessary for the development of tourism and the 'new towns' of Cap d'Agde, Marsellan plage, Vias plage etc., as before that l'Etang de Thau was infested with them

I don't know what is used so can't advise on the consequences for health.

The second' pest' in the summer  is the hoards of tourists (this is very much  a 'camping by the sea ', relatively low cost area, where people are looking for sand sea and sex ...think of the reputation of  the Naturist colony at Cap d'Agde)

The consequences are choked roads, crowds in the shops, very difficult parking etc in July and August , then a gradual shut-down of seasonal businesses over the winter.

The two towns I mentioned however do retain a character and a life independent of the tourist trade, and are both pleasant places with a good climate

We spent Christmas 2004 in Marseillan before buying (elsewhere), OK, and certainly better than the plage or Agde (which we hated).  Found quite a lot of restaurants shut at that time of year, and not all that lively, but enough happening.   It decided for us that we did not want to be near the coast.  However,  a nice town, supermarket, harbour, the Noilly Prat enterprise (useful for visitors!), and plenty of lareger towns in close proximity.

Can only reiterate what has been said before, see it in the winter, it is after all a coastal and holiday town.  We found property pricier than inland, not surprisingly.

There are a loyal group of expats living there year round.

The Garrigae development will also add to these numbers.

I lived in a beach apt over winter whilst buying my house. I'd suggest an inland market town as being more interesting !

Peter

• 1 month later...
We actually visited rhe region 10 days ago and found it generally pleasing. Wonderful beaches, pleasant villages and very good connecting roads. On the downside is the ever present wind and over priced properties.

Certainly worthy of further exploration.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Now you have seen it out of season, try again in the summer,  late July for example.

There will probably be less wind, but the beaches and roads will be crowded.

That lay well be fine by you, (some people say its only for a few weeks of the year)  but you should be aware of it.