Where are the best collèges near Nîmes ?

Hi, we are thinking of moving to the Nîmes area and are currently looking for a house.  Our eldest is due to start collège in September and we need to know where the good (public not private) schools are.  My kids are French so language isn't a problem but we are tearing our hair out trying to find information.  My huband says that looking at the results of the Brevet isn't a good indicator as it's not like GCSE exams and not taken too seriously here.  The only good indicator is the BAC but this is in Lycée and we aren't at that stage yet :

Any information would be welcome.

Hi, just read your post. Unless I,m wrong I think you,ll find when you,re actually living here, the kids will go to the college in their catchment area. We live 15 mins from Nimes and when the kids were younger that,s how it worked.(although mine didn,t go to school in Nimes) Things might have changed now so if you can actually choose where they go I,m not sure. Whatever happens you don,t really want them going to one on the outskirts of Nimes and if they propose one to you in La Zup...say NO!

There is one in town center,College de la Revolution...friends kids have gone their and apparently it,s not too bad.

Janey

me again, just spoken with friends and the two they recommend are

Collége Révolution 0466 049300

Emanuel d'Alzon 0466 674936

Emanuel d'Alzon is a private college ,it costs approx 80e per month per child including the canteen .

Hope this helps, again this could depend where you will be living exactly. Are you going to live in Nimes itself?

janey

Janey, kids do not have to go to their local college, parents can request that they attend a different public college. I know lots of people who have done that for various reasons.

Surely private education prices are dependant on income, that is the way it was for my son in all his colleges. I have a rather well off friend and she paid an awful lot more than we did.

Well, mine went to the one in their catchment area, luckily it was a good one too. So, hopefully the person asking will have achoice then..times change and I,ve got a bad memory lol

But as for fees dependant on income that one I haven,t heard. That is the price a friend(French)pays. My son did do his last year in a private college and then went on to a private Lycee and the fees were standard for everyone, that I do know. I,m not talking about private international schools, just ordinary private French schools.The girls just went to public schools, no probs whatsoever. Anyway, hopefully this will help as the two colleges mentioned are both very good.

Janey

My son went to 4 different french college privé, nothing special, and everyone of them asked for a copy of our avis d'impot, which frankly I refused to give but just contributed within the bracket in which we fell.

We were in the Rhone Alps and for all three of these colleges were within easy reach of one another, the other one was a long way away.

I'm pretty sure that the primaire/maternelle privé in our village had the same system too.