300 days of sunshine, er well not quite.

That all sounds dreadful; I'd seen there was a red alert out for PO, but wasn't too aware of the rest. In our part of the Gard, it's just wet, wet, wet - but no problems that I know of. It it was good to see that the Gardon has filled up a bit; just over a year ago it was frozen solid from side to side for 2 solid weeks, but this year up to yesterday it was looking a bit forlorn as it was just a little stream. Today it looks like a bit more like a river should in winter.

Oh yes - I remember the floods of 2002 very well! espcially through Remoulins.

Down in the valley below our town is the spring which persuaded the Romans that this was the best place to construct the channels to take water to Nimes - the best-known part being the Pont du Gard. I still look at the height the floods reached in the valley with amazement - this is a wide valley, yet the floods reached extremely high right across the Eure valley. I know what damage flood can do around here, yet I was heartened to see the Gardon more full this week.

Nimes city council and planners have been very busy over the intervening years constructing channels towards and through the city to take the vast amount of water which flows from the garrigue; more is still being constructed today and hopefully such floods as in 2002 won't be repeated.