Been just a little occupied recently .... storms in Languedoc ...

Since Friday night / early Sat morning been just a bit busy coping with flooding in our village / town.  All our quartier was badly flooded, we fortunately had less than some, bit still a good foot, and guess where we had stored files and paperwork when we'd run out of shelves. 

No warning as it came up so fast after only one short evening of exceptionally heavy storms and rain since 5pm ... it arrived about 3am ...

Now all power restored, internet works, mobile signal restored etc etc ... dishwasher kaput, washing m/c works but not washing particularly well and makes nasty noises, both cars flooded, one less than the other due to where it was parked ... floors likely need to replacing - its a long house ... like a longère, though it isn't ... so lots of floor ..... and no time to deal with it all. 

And all this 2 weeks before I go into hospital for my hip op ... as though I hadn't enough on my plate being unable to walk well, bend, lift, pick up things from floor, drive and climb stairs .... etc etc now ...

This is certainly when you find out who your friends are ...

I sympathise, Judith........look after yourself.   And every good wish for the op!

We have strong winds and a thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow but we seem to be on the border of 2 weather systems so it might happen or not.

Thinking of you[kiss]

It looked nasty on the clip I saw in MidiLibre.

Over here we had the rain but not the floods as the centre of Béziers is quite high up.

I sympathise and hope you had some of the help from neighbours and pompiers I saw in action on the news.

Best wishes for your Op.

I spent 5 days in that clinique once again just before Christmas, and once again I was satisfied, so I hope you will be too.

Hi Judith, I hope that things are a little better for you and the village now? Also good luck with your op [kiss][kiss]

GG, I do love your signature [6] Quite subtle init [:-))]

(sorry but I just couldn't resist that one. It did make me chuckle [blink] )

So sorry to hear about all of this,particularly with your operation imminent. Good luck with the operation. Just thin if you were in UK you'd not be having a hip op at present.....non urgent etc. You certainly do get to know who you friends are....We've been relatively lucky in Lot et Garonne with the weather; just a bit of rain and relatively strong winds. Keep your chin up Judith, I'm sure that everyone on this site is s ending positive thoughts your way.

Dear friends all,

As you can imagine, posting / reading this forum recently has not been on my top priority for the last two weeks, but whilst there is still so very much to do, and I cannot say we anywhere other than at the end of the very first stage, at most, before I go offline for some time I thought I must post and at least bring you up to date.

Many thanks for all your sympathies, even if help because of distance cannot be offered - a good "hug" - even online- helps.

House is now livable in, certainly not yet all clean (but mainly those areas we don't live in or need so much work its not been started yet, and there still is some damp, presumably under the tiles and certainly parquet, which will have to be replaced, though the tiles are less certain according to the assessor - young man in a hurry that he was!  The artisan who can do all the works has a different view point ... we wait to see, his devis arrived today ...

One car is a write off, second hand but only bought in September to replace a dead engined car, ...the other is repairable, but needs drying out etc - though I know that from the garage owner and not the insurance!  A friend has loaned us a "spare" car (a VW fallen foul of the emissions scandal and waiting repatriation etc), and so we have wheels to get me to the hospital (Polyclinique St Privat, NE Beziers ... thanks for offer Jonjobs, and thanks for the recommendation NormanH).

Friends have helped clean, transport us, dry papers, and clear items I was storing for my Rotary club (on the floor - where else!), French paperwork not all under control but happening ... and the only bugbear is that I got a cold at the beginning of the week, which IS on its way out and I hope will not delay treatment.  But hubby now has it!

The mairie came this morning and cleared the rubbish and furniture spoilt (and not repairable, or just not worth the effort) by the flood, so we have a clear space to work on. 

Hubby laptop now working again ... computer OK, adaptor NOT.  New one now on order after computer guru checked everything yesterday ... and left an adaptor pro tem, so little by little we get there.

So only the hip to cross fingers for now!

My intention is to have everything I can do before Tuesday moving forward ... and then  pray for results!

Not 2 weeks I want to relive again - now that IS for sure!

Now concentrate on your operation and getting yourself over it.

Have you thought of going into a "maison de repos" for a while after where there is a physio and your daily needs (both catering and nursing etc) are met?

There is one in Boujan associated with St Privat and you could ask the surgeon to place you there for your soins de réeducation

http://centre-hospitalier.ehpadhospiconseil.fr/finess/340798552/centre-de-convalescence-le-pech-du-soleil-boujan-sur-libron

Judith, I can't claim to give you relevant advice as Norman has done so well here.  But I do agree with him that you just concentrate on yourself for now.

Rest, try and relax (what doesn't get done doesn't get done) look after yourself, do all you can to get shot of that cold, eat properly and well and generally get yourself into as good a state of health as possible.

When all is done and dusted in the hospital and you are well recovered, that would be the time to attend to everything else.

Be assured that I shall think of you and will be sending you positive vibes[kiss]

A good friend of ours had a big knee op in the Clinic Montreal here in Carcassonne. Then she spent 6 weeks in the new re-education centre alongside the new general hospital. She had physio every day and when she left she walked out and she did not need a walking stick at all. It transformed her life. As far as I can make out the hip jobbies don't take so long as knees to recover from, so if the chance of getting that fascility is there it can only be a great idea.. It sounds pretty well the same sort of place as ours here?

Good luck lass!

[quote user="NormanH"]Now concentrate on your operation and getting yourself over it.

Have you thought of going into a "maison de repos" for a while after where there is a physio and your daily needs (both catering and nursing etc) are met?

There is one in Boujan associated with St Privat and you could ask the surgeon to place you there for your soins de réeducation

http://centre-hospitalier.ehpadhospiconseil.fr/finess/340798552/centre-de-convalescence-le-pech-du-soleil-boujan-sur-libron

[/quote]

NormanH  - already booked in Val d'Orb - long ago - 2 weeks at least.  Just as well given the state of the house - looking at is as a "holiday", ie no cooking, cleaning etc etc ... just learning to walk again.  Great.  House wasn't that suitable for walking around with crutches before, now, it is a disaster area for anything like that!  And I'll extend, if needed.

Judith, I have read your saga with great sympathy and have since been regarding the small stream near my humble home with a distinctly jaundiced eye.

Just a tip about hip and knee joint replacements - make sure that you get plenty of recovery physiotherapy as it is vital to getting the joint to work properly and you with it. Don't let them skimp on it.

Cingers frossed!

Hi Judith, I hope that all is well with you during this drought we are having today [:-))] Well, not quite a drought with 86mm of rain falling since midnight!

Our village has 4 ways in/out, one being a small track in places. The 3 main ways are now flooded and impassable! Luckly enough the village is built on a slope up from the river that is causing the cutoff so flooding can happen but nulikely? It is the heaviest rain we have seen in the 12 years here and there looks like more to come?

good luck!!

As you know, the Aude rises in the Pair-a-knees, but all this rain seems to have been up our way and north into the Montagne Noir. The Clamoux is our jobbie and it came up very quiickly, dropped the same too. That joins the Orbiel and then onto the Aude in Trebes.

Any news of Judith? Probably running too fast to catch now [:-))]

Jonzjob wrote : Just as a matter of interest this was our little river at the bottom of the village just after lunch time. Normally it sits in the bottom of a gully, for the want of a better name.

Gosh is all I can say after watching your YouTube video ... I got a tad worried about you as you passed the now invisible, newly sunken bridge and then stood at the end of the remaining bit of dry land watching and listening to the torrent rushing past just cms away from you ... gulp ?

Sue