Seen the newly-discovered Roman mosaics?

Well GG, we already knew that there were plenty of old fossils in Uzes (you & Mr GG excepted), but now mosaics ! Whatever next?

Actually, the Roman legionnaires probably came up to Uzes for a bit of r & r in between stints of duty supervising the construction of the Pont du Gard............... and we all know what r & r means for the average squaddie !!

Normally I finish tours of museums quite a long time before OH emerges. However when we visited the roman villa in Perigueux with some of her relatives they finished quite soon and both myself and OH had to be advised as we were going round (separately) that they were about to close.

Praise indeed. If this is the same then a must see.

The tours are just 15 minutes long only this weekend so that interested locals can see them before they are removed by summer.

I haven't heard what is planned for them, maybe they'll be installed in the new musée de Romanité in Nîmes (not yet finished) but it would be great if they could be installed more locally, in Uzès itself preferably; maybe the maire could retire with a flourish after that, a suitable legacy after his long service as maire, 34 years at the moment.

I don't know the Roman villa at Perigueux, but found a visit a few years ago to the Roman villa at Loupian, near Bouziques was fascinating:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x178ap4_villa-romaine-de-loupian_travel