Tax forms

mellybelly

Quote from the Connexion:

"A rate of 0.8111 pounds to the euro (1,233 to you and me) was recommended to The Connexion by the Finance Ministry and Banque de France"

they go on to say however that:

"rates are not set in stone and there is some leeway if a reasonable rate is used"

So that's clear then !!!

Much of our income (OAP etc) is transferred directly into our French account. So I use that effective rate €total/£total (rounded down) as the rate for everything else.

I "declare" this in a covering letter and also on the tax form and take photographs of those.

Paranoid or what?

[quote user="g8vkv"]Much of our income (OAP etc) is transferred directly into our French account. So I use that effective rate €total/£total (rounded down) as the rate for everything else.

I "declare" this in a covering letter and also on the tax form and take photographs of those.

Paranoid or what?[/quote]

Hi,

In 20 years I have never given any explanation of the rates I use ( I record the monthly rate I receive for my pension paid in €,and use it  for everything else ) .  I have never had my rates queried by the tax office; remember, all figures on 2042 and 2047 are given in € only;   so , yes, I think you may be being a little paranoid, but just because it's irrational to think they are out to get you, doesn't mean they aren't.

• 1 month later...

This is yet another of the 468,000 (approx) things that Deb just used to 'do'. Her pension was paid in euros, so although that meant a small % was lost in conversion by the bank our pension fund used, no question the amount Deb declared was the figure in the bank account, and thus open to audit. My pension, somewhat larger by virtue of 38 years of unstinting toil (yeah, right) is paid into a UK bank. Since currency exchanges fluctuate on a minute-by-minute basis, I had expected to take the figure on my bank statements and convert that using European Central Bank rates for each of the (13, paid every 4-weeks) payment dates. I infer from this thread that I am going a bit further than may be necessary.

An additional complication arises from yesterday's otherwise easy meeting with the Notaire. It seems I need to fill in two declarations for 2012, one for the period ending 5th September, one for the remainder of the year. A morning at the hotel des impots beckons, I fear!

Hi Ian

I can't remember anyone on the forum having the exchange rate questioned when they've submitted their declaration. So long as you use a rate that you can somehow justify (the rate at which Deb's pension was transferred or the rate at which any of your funds were transferred for example) then you'll be fine if ever questioned.

As far as the two submissions are concerned then I would check with the Impots as I always thought that how the year started set the allowances for that year but the Notaire could be right.

Keep going.

Having just read the Connexion Tax Guide today it actually states in that where a husband or wife dies during the year two forms do need to be completed. Also I have never used anything other than the average rate for the year. I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts anyway. Good Luck Ian. If the same happened to me I know other half would, like you, find things difficult. Don't forget to come back onto the forum if you do have difficulties with your tax returns - we can all get our heads together!