Sunday Lunch

Chris

I am taking my family to Paris to celebrate a special birthday.  The birthday falls on a Sunday and I would welcome suggestions for a restaurant where my two girls, who are 6 and 9 years old, will feel comfortable and enjoy themselves. We will be staying near the Opera but anywhere accessible in Paris  will be OK.

Chris

[quote user="Chris"]

I am taking my family to Paris to celebrate a special birthday.  The birthday falls on a Sunday and I would welcome suggestions for a restaurant where my two girls, who are 6 and 9 years old, will feel comfortable and enjoy themselves. We will be staying near the Opera but anywhere accessible in Paris  will be OK.

Chris

[/quote]

Evening or day time?...

Day time try : 'Angélina' in rue de Rivoli - opposite the Louvre Museum. An institution in Paris for lunch or tea there. Be prepared to queue especially around the 12noon-2pm mark. Not much of a hardship as you are queueing by the cake counters and Oooh! they are yummy!... Speciality : Mont-Blanc, a concoction of meringue, Chantilly cream and purée de marron... Their hot chocolate is divine!... First took my daughter there when she was 11 and for her it is a-must-have-lunch-at-Angélina on the twice a year trip to visit my family in France. She expects it as a treat for her 21st this year!...

My OH and our son prefer 'Au Pied de Cochon' on Place des Halles not far from Eglise Saint-Eustache. Open 24/7. Dad can for a dare, eat a pig's trotter!... Yummy!... Forget your knife and fork! get in with your fingers... There is the plain grilled version which needs the finger licking experience and there is the 'à la Périgourdine' which is a stuffed trotter bones removed, if you want to keep some decorum. As you sit and order your meal and wait for it you will be served-free!- a small glass of salmon mousse as apetiser and the paper coaster which comes with it, asks 'Do you know how many bones are there in a trotter?' It should amuse the girls to count them as Dad is eating!...

Try : 'Chartier' in rue du Faubourg Montmartre just off the Grands Boulevards metro station. The decor and atmosphere is better than the food (basic traditional french). Orders are written on the paper table cloth, waiters have a very long white apron and seem to come out of a 1930-40 french film set. Not sure about sunday openings...

Try : 'Le Nemrod' at the angle of rue du Cherche Midi in the 6ème arrondissement. Very busy at lunchtime and queueing is inevitable. Food very good. I always go there when sent to our Paris office (what a perk!) Good for people watching as the 6ème is home to many french politicians, actors or other public figures. Don't know if open on a sunday....

Try : the chain of restaurant 'Chez Clèment' Several through out the city. Menu has a lot of sea food. You will recognise the restaurants as they have lots of copper pans tied up by their entrance.

Try : Chinatown. It is the area in the 13ème arrondissement, as you go towards Porte d'Italie and Porte d'Ivry. There is a multitude of very good chinese restaurants. By chinese I mean any far eastern asian cuisine you care to have. I often walk around there and look out for the places that have the most of their own nationality sitting and eating. If they go there the food must be good. I  have not been disappointed so far. Sunday opening?... not sure...

Try : 'Le Paradis du fruit' Quite a few in the city. The one I know is along the south side of the river not far from the Saint Germain area. It is a heaven for any vegetarian person. Never knew that vegetarian eating could be so varied. I only wish the vegetarian restaurants in this country could take a hint!...

When arriving in Paris, go to a newspaper kiosk and ask for a 'Pariscope' (about 0.40c of a Euro) It will have a selection of where to eat in whichever cuisine you want, it will also tell their opening time and also have zillions of suggestions of what to do in the city that week. The booklet comes out every Wednesday.

Wishing whoever in your party many happy returns. Do you need a two legged-translating guide?... Have a lovely time!...

• 1 month later...

Chris Thanks for the Email!... Nice that you could make use (or not) of my suggestions...

But what we would like to know on the forum is where in the end did you go?... If you discarded my suggestions I don't mind in the least. Really I don't mind....

Just that it would be nice that you shared with us where did you choose to go that we too can enjoy at some other time...

We on these forums get very touchy that we get all these questions on the various subjects by people who just joined. We give them all of our experienced wisdom on whatever the subject is and then they disappear in the blue yonders never to be seen on the forum with not so much as a thank you. Yours (be it private one) is one of a few exception and gladly acknowledge.

Not ranting... just saying...[:D]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Missyesbut

I will use your information in November.

We have managed to get Two for One tickets on the recent Eorostar offer in the Telegraph.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable small hotel. I really need to find one where they will keep our bags until the afternoon of our check out day as I am sure there are no longer Left Luggage offices / lockers at Gare du Nord.

Ummm, 'Weliveinhope' (is that just outside Durham?) - did you read what MYB had written? She was saying that often people arrive on the forum, ask a question, it is answered and they are never heard from again. So she, and others, feel just a bit taken for granted. In this case, however, the questioner had bothered to thank her by email, which was polite and quite as it should be.

So why do you need to be so aggressive?

[quote user="weliveinhope"]

What a strange quibble.

I wonder if your first post(s), or the first posts of most members for that matter, was full of useful information for the other members or was it,as many first posts inevitably are, seeking information? 

[/quote]

What a strange post.

I wonder if you got hold of the wrong end of the stick when you made this post.  That's usually my job. [:D]

• 1 month later...
[

"Missyesbut

I will use your information in November.

We have managed to get Two for One tickets on the recent Eorostar offer in the Telegraph.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable small hotel. I really need to find one where they will keep our bags until the afternoon of our check out day as I am sure there are no longer Left Luggage offices / lockers at Gare du Nord."

[:)][:)]To report back; excellent trip and thanks to everyone for information esp. Missyesbut.

Gare du Nord now have left luggage lockers available and these can be used after passengers and luggage have been screened.

We bought the Pariscope publication it is excellent (like Time-Out) so thanks for recommending it MYB.

We can recommend L'Annexe restaurant, Rue des Trois Freres, 18ieme, small, busy, excellent food and friendly service.

We booked a small hotel nr. Montmartre which was convenient and suited our needs it also had a studio cinema across the road so we were able to see a film while we were there.

Gill