Live in the 18eme

mango

Hi all,

I plan to move to the 18eme arrondissement next month.  I've heard that you can have good and not so good areas in this district.  I'd be interested in hearing from people who the 18eme which places should be avoided.  Recommendations as to which places to stay are welcome too Smile [:)]

Thanks in advance for your tips.

mango, the 18 arrondisment is Montmartre.....................not a particular dangerous area of paris............artistic, fasionable and lots of tourists. Very dense population because there are loads of tiny studios...............at high costs. Go there and soak up the atmosphere...............good bars, cafés, clubs...........and not far from the centre. Enjoy your time in paris[:D]

Hi, the centre of Paris is divided into 20 arrondissments all within a peripheral road.  Some of these are desirable others are not.  As a rule of thumb, consider the centre of Paris to be a clock.  If you imagine where the 12 sits and the 3, then the quarter between these areas are considered less desirable.  As the 18th sits at 12 and spreads out either side, the western side of 18th and indeed the 9th which sits just below are more desirable than the east.

Each arrondissment has its own identity, personally I love the 18th. [:)]

[quote user="Just Katie"]...Each arrondissment has its own identity, personally I love the 18th. [:)][/quote]

Hello Katie.

You seem to know an awful lot about Paris, all of a sudden. Is there a reason for that?[6][:-))]

[quote user="Just Katie"]...I have done a bit of research on Paris because I will shortly be moving there.  I thought I had already told you that though [6][:-))][/quote]

Now you mention it....[6]

I haven't seen any real public mention of this interesting fact, though, until now.[:)]

[quote user="Just Katie"]I have done a bit of research on Paris because I will shortly be moving there.[/quote]

Just Katie, why are you moving to Paris?

Which  arrondissement will you be moving to?

Will you be able to receive guests?

Can I come and stay for a short visit so I can find out about the 18e?

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Just Katie"]I have done a bit of research on Paris because I will shortly be moving there.[/quote]
Just Katie, why are you moving to Paris?
Which  arrondissement will you be moving to?
Will you be able to receive guests?
Can I come and stay for a short visit so I can find out about the 18e?
[/quote]

Husband already there and I have new job.

Husband lives in 7th but I want to move to 16th

All depends who they are.

Only if you stop removing my posts. [:-))]

>>What sort of accomodation are you looking for?

I'm looking for a one bedroom appartment, where the bedroom is seperate from kitchen / living area (i.e. not a studio).  I've seen several places on www.pap.fr (bypass agencies).  I will visit the 18th this weekend and will have some visits to appartments.  I'd prefer to visit accomodation in "safer" areas as I've heard the 18th can be a mix.  Visiting the district is certainly going to help, but getting opinions from others helps considerably.

Thanks for this site.  It's mostly agencies though, which I'm trying to avoid (initially anyway).  Also don;t get a feel for the area where these are located.  Guess I'll have to discover this weekend.  Only a day to go before my new life in Paris begins. Superbe.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would never say this but don't be put off by agencies.

True you pay an agency fee, but the rents are comparable - if not cheaper to private adds in my experience. Yoy can also find some bargains sometimes if you are in first.

The trick is to watch out of new adds daily and when something good comes up, get there first with a good dossier. They often take the first person ready with a dossier.

Good luck!

Rob