Maps of varying age

PaulT

Part of our house in France is of unknown age - assumed to date from the mid 1800s.

I would like to get a better idea of the actual date.

Was there, like there is in the UK maps from various dates showing properties etc? If there is then we can find maps closely associated by age where one does not show the property and the other does and arrive at a far better idea of date.

Paul

Try you Archives Departementale, they are the custodians of the cadastre maps and you can plot the progress of the land on which your house is built by folloing the dates of the maps, you can determine the date the house was built.  If you're a bit research savvy, you can also find the transfer information from the records of the notaires, assuming that you don't have the information already in your deeds that is.

I have worked on this sort of thing regularly for chums, used to do it professionally and have been able to find a good deal of information for people using this method, which is the most simple way to do it.

Some Archives will do a free search for you on your commune but many will just pass you on to a professional researcher if the enquiry is too complex or if they don't have the staff levels to help, especially if you're outre mer.  Send me a pm or email if you need extra advice.

Edit:  Paul, it would be useful if you actually gave your French location on your information, then I could post a link to you AD for you.

Tony, I've now found the Archives site for our departement and found some very interesting maps! Thanks for that info!

I couldn't find anything relating to Deux-Sevres on the "Cassini" site, in fact the cartographie links didn't work.

Sid 

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Sid, I've used records going back to the mid 17th century with very detailed records of building, their construction, property lists, land purchases etc. '1850' is either a guess or somebody being smart.[/quote]

Thanks for posting that.  Unfortunately the archives for our commune are not yet on line, but maybe someday.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Ummmmmmmmm. why not just visit them?  Online research isn't the bees knees, it's just a convenient short cut and can never show every map and every piece of paper, there's just too much of it all.[/quote]

I shall try to do so when next I'm in France.  From 4000+ miles away, access to old cadastral maps would be very convenient.