"You mean that Dick may not even have a house in France and may not have a telly? He does spend a lot of time lurking on this site! I bet Dick is a train spotter on the quiet?"

Read my profile (I've got one...)

I just don't think that stupid = clever. Or spelling things wrongly, or making cheap jokes, or using English badly.

Just to help me here - how do you know if someone is lurking?

I think you described yourself perfectly.

(I'd hate to be shhot, by the way).

There is a distinct lack of likeable on this forum, You could all be the same person you are so similar to each other.

Oh I don't know, some are extremely nice people, some are stupid, some think they are funny ermmmphh,  some are rude, some are downright horrible, some don't like togger, some like rugger,  some are a pain, some are great, some are British, some ain't.

Similar.....well if you say so FK.  Can't see it myself.

I don't think you're capable of making jokes, be they cheap or deer!

Was that a joke ? Difficult to tell at this time of day, I shall 'ave another look in the morning, it might be more obvious by then  

furryknickers,

We can all read the forum without posting, hard as it may seem, even I don't post all the time. I don't consider that I am lurking when I just read. Lurkers as far as I am concerned just watch and don't post.

I too can be seen logged in at 1am or even 3am.

Surely like me, you know that you make spelling mistakes. I don't always spell check either, I forget...... which just shows I have a lousy memory and lousy spelling. That it irrates other posters, well, it does, I'm far too long in the tooth to be worried about it.

Forgot, add to that my tpyos........ yes it came out like that, it really did and I'm not going to change it this time, although that is one I know and would change if I saw it.

Just a very small point, but perhaps worth mentioning: most people on this thread refer to the demonstrators in Bourbriac etc as being "french" - officially correct, but I am sure many of them consider themselves to be breton first and foremost. A bit like a french person calling a welshman or scot "anglais".

i gave up trying to calm things down and resorted to watching the fallout from the little demo in our place du centre, the one on AI kept me amused for sometime but i have to say this one is winning by a mile at the mo can't decide if thats good or bad, we've had reporters all over the place, tv crews and alot of bemused local people, the best report in a british paper though has to be the one in the guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1423894,00.html

he did look a plonker with his bag but his report makes quite good reading,

and now carry on please............

What is the Guardian coming to? That was a surprisingly balanced, light-hearted and truthful article. It certainly reflects the situation a few km to the east, on the 35/50/53 borders - although the question of learning Breton fortunately doesn't arise here.

Points that certainly ring true are the fact that 'integrating' doesn't just meaning learning a few words of French, though that's a vital first step. One also has to appreciate local culture. And that the British factor is something that doesn't help keep house prices low (when French sellers hear the often exaggerated reports of what the 'English' are willing to pay they come from far and wide to the English-speaking agences immobiliers) but it still remains just one factor in a complex equation.

And nobody seems to have a problem with full-time or long-term residents of whatever nationality who actually contribute something to the community. Problems will arise from those who just turn up for a week or two, if at all, or the others, which the Guardian piece failed to mention, that look for handouts and expect to be given employment when these things are difficult or impossible for even the locals to obtain. As the Bretons know, the situation there is no different from their Celtic cousins in Wales and Cornwall.

Willy conk,I understand what you are saying,but what is the problem with anyone from the EU coming to your part of france(or any other)and obtaining what they can under the EU laws?The sooner ALL of france understand that they have given up, french law(or are about to) to the EU super state the better for france and the whinging bretons will be put in their place.

Quite right TU.

We went for lunch today with some Breton neighbours and an English couple who have bought a house in the valley from another couple from the UK.

During the lengthy lunch, where there were many other people, mostly Bretons, several joined in the conversations we were having about this and that, many joining I suspect due to the fact that our neighbour was the Mayor for 12 years and his Father for 22 years before him, he was also head of the local farming co-op until retirement a few years ago, so of course a very well know figure in the area and a really good chap.

Inevitably Bourbriac was brought up and I have to say, not one of them had anything bad to say about the Brits BUT we are not in an area that is well known for having many Brits about but to my mind, there are still quite a few. I have eaten with many French folks from many areas and I can honestly say, the Bretons are amongst the very best there are in France, that is not to demean any other region, just my personal experience, by the end of that lunch, we had enough invites for aperos that it is just as well we are quiet again now the holidays are over !

I don't doubt it was partly because of the old Mayor being with us but none the less, the Bretons once again showed what genuinely friendly people they can be, if you just take the trouble to talk with them and learn what you can about this often very different French race.

Can't wait for the weather to improve and start going to a Fest Noz or two !! 

[quote]Quite right TU. We went for lunch today with some Breton neighbours and an English couple who have bought a house in the valley from another couple from the UK. During the lengthy lunch, where ther...[/quote]

>> the Bretons once again showed what genuinely friendly people they can be, if you just take the trouble to talk with them and learn what you can about this often very different French race.<<

Absolutely!!

[quote]Willy conk,I understand what you are saying,but what is the problem with anyone from the EU coming to your part of france(or any other)and obtaining what they can under the EU laws?The sooner ALL of f...[/quote]

A view taken by so many people today without having the backbone to graft for it over possibly many years.

weedon