unmarried couple and inheritance.

We are planning to buy a lovely property in Brittany. We are not married. I have three children from my previous marriage and my partner has one child from a previous marriage (all grown up and flown the nest). At this stage, we do not want to marry and the problems with inheritance tax and who inherits what, is causing us great concern. Literature and Solicitors say a lot but the decision is very difficult. Can any one share their thoughts and/or experience in this area. Urgent!!!!!

It is impossible to give advice on a subject like this without complete knowledge of your situation, the value of the property involved, what you want to happen to it in the event of the death of either of you, and countless other questions. The only option, I'm afraid, is to take professional advice - start by asking the notaire handling the sale and then ask at least one other expert.

Being unmarried and owning property in France is really a very awkward situation, having children from previous marriages complicates it further. It's bad enough for married people to arrange things favourably.

I agree with Will, you really need very good legal advise about this and I would see at least two different notaires.

And personally I would never be unmarried, that is to say a concubine, in France. That legal contract between a couple, helps enormously in sorting this sort of thing out. And with having children from previous relationships it will be hard enough to sort out as it is. If you are unmarried then as far as french law is concerned you are 'strangers' and death duties are based on this status. Around £1k tax free allowance and 60% death tax on the rest. Where as the tax free allowances for a spouse are quite generous and the death taxes are far lower and go up gradually.

My partner and I are in a similar situation. She has a teenage daughter living with her father. I have no children and my parents and sister have 'dis-inherited' me. However after many discussions with legal experts with interpreters there are things you can do to limit what relations might inherit however the bottom line is they will always get a piece of you. The only answer in yours and our situation is to do everyhthing you can to stay alive.