Hi everyone,

have decided on a holiday in North of France this year. Was thinking of Normandy. As we are driving from the west coast of Scotland, once we get to France we really do not want to drive . Can anyone recommend anywhere that isn`t too far from channel ports, good campsites, cheap ferries? Asking too much? Sorry. I would have loved to have gone to Brittany but really feel it is too much driving.

regards

Joan

www.beaulyinternational.com

"Swings and roundabouts" are words that spring to mind Joan.  You could cross at Dover with http://www.speedferries.com for well under £100 but will then have between a 2 and 3 hour drive to get to Normandy.  Alternatively you can pay a lot more to sail into Le Havre or Ouistreham, from where you can spend your holiday literally minutes away from either port if you so wish.  Of course, I'd like to recommend my own B&B but advertising rules prohibit it, but if you're interested send me a private message and I'll give you our details!

Hi,

we are thinking of going into St Malo. is it nice around there?. As I said we do not want to be driiving very far at all when we get ther as we`ll be pretty exhausted. just want to get to France!!

regards Joan

Hi Coco,

where is Oustriham (sorry about the spelling )and where/who sails. Are you near there? Is it a nice part of normandy. I`ve only ever been to Rouen andb Giverny in the north so I am not sure where we want to go. We like nice  unspoilt countryside, quiet campsites, but access to traditional French towns- we must be getting old!

We are going camping but usually spend several nights in a hotel especially when we arrive just to get a rest!

regards

Joan

Dear Joan,

Ouistreham is the official name for the port of Caen. I think it's Brittany Ferries that sail there.

Despite my PM to you yesterday extolling the virtues of the countryside around my gite near Dieppe, if you are thinking of going further south then I would equally extol the virtues of the Calvados region!

My brother lives in a small town called Thury-Harcourt which is about 20 minutes drive south of Caen, and the countryside around there is really lovely - it is called the Suisse-Normandie because it is quite hilly. 

I know of one campsite which is in Thury-Harcourt, it is called the Traspy camping, but I have never stayed there.

Hope you have a great holiday!

[quote]Hi, we are thinking of going into St Malo. is it nice around there?. As I said we do not want to be driiving very far at all when we get ther as we`ll be pretty exhausted. just want to get to France!...[/quote]

Herumphhhhhh,

That's us !

Nice Joan, it's not just nice, it's flipping bootiful !!

I'll support the St Malo idea too, plenty to do around there and if you are camping (I got that feeling from your original request)there are some very nice sites either not far out of St Malo or just up the coast as far as I remember - but it may be peak time for the French too so do book ahead whichever type of accommodation you are looking for.

[quote]Dear Joan, Ouistreham is the official name for the port of Caen. I think it's Brittany Ferries that sail there. Despite my PM to you yesterday extolling the virtues of the countryside around my gite...[/quote]

I would go with Catherine's idea and at least incooperate Swiss Normandy.

We have been several times to Traspy Campsite in Thury Hardcourt, its very nice. There is also a very clean and secluded campsite at Rouvrou at the foot of Roche d'Oetre and very reasonable. You can hire canoes and go all the way from Pont d'Ouilly to Thury Hardcourt down the River Orne. There are some beautiful walks also.

But then again St. Malo and area is wonderful too. We have stayed at La Hallerais with Swimming Pool and good Restaurant and straight from the Campsite you can walk or Cycle down along the Rance to Dinan which ist a beautiful old town. And you could go an visit Mont St. Michel (does anybody know, are they still changing the access or is that completed?)

I wish I could go too!

Monika (61 but at this moment in Dorset)

Hi Joan

As Catherine said, Ouistreham is the name of the port at Caen (about 45 minutes from us) and is served by Britanny Ferries, about 2 hours shorter crossing than the St Malo one, unless you're planning the fastcraft but then there is also a fastcraft into Ouistreham during the summer months.

The countryside around here is really beautiful - in fact, without fail, everyone who steps out of their car at our house comments on the lovely scenery.  There are plenty of campsites in the surrounding area, which appear to be (never done it myself) pretty cheap and well served (not big clubhouses or pools, but usually in nice quiet, country settings).  The Normandy beaches are stunning, and apart from August, usually pretty deserted.

Several nice towns with good markets within a half hour's drive, Villedieu des Poeles, Avranches, Coutances to name but a few.  Have a look on the map.

Monika

The work at Mont St Michel hasn't started yet.  I believe it's scheduled to be finished in 2009!

And yes Joan, the suisse normande is very pretty, especially in the autumn when the tree colours are spectacular, but the only problem with the area is that if it is a bit cloudy it can be miserable there, even in summer, because very often you are right in the middle of the cloud, so it can be VERY damp.

I'd support the Pays d'Auge south/Southeast of Caen. Wonderful countryside, and yet, just a short drive from the beaches of Deauville, Trouville, Ouistreham, the Normandy landing beaches plus places like Suisse Normande, Rouen, Honfleur and Mont St Michel are easy day trips. Plus lots of superb cider and Calvados. Its wonderful countryside for cycling and walking as well.

Best Regards

Alan. 

[quote]Monika The work at Mont St Michel hasn't started yet. I believe it's scheduled to be finished in 2009! And yes Joan, the suisse normande is very pretty, especially in the autumn when the tree colou...[/quote]

Coco

Are you mistaking the Swiss Normandy with the Swiss Mountains? There you can be in the middle of clouds and it can chuck it down and you get some wonderful (never ending) thunderstorms, especially where I come from.

Purely from the topographical point I can not see much difference in weather patterns to the rest of Normandy, in fact quite often when we drive towards Caen it is more cloudy and windy.

Thank you for letting me know about Mont St Michel.

And am I right in assuming that your B & B is near Bayeux? We might need B & B in September but I will send you a PM in due course.

Monika

Hi Monika

We're about 35 minutes SW of Bayeux.  Maybe we've been unlucky but whenever we've visited Suisse Normande in the summer it's been cloudy or drizzly or very damp.  Now autumn is a completely different matter.  Clear blue skies and beautiful, beautiful rust, gold and yellow trees!

Hi, just an idea but as you are travelling from the west coast of Scotland have you not considered using Ryanair from Prestwick to Beauvais.  My mother is coming over to us in Picardie next week, £62 return and only takes 1 and half hours.

We have used this route several times to visit relatives and found that flight plus car hire was far cheaper than channel crossing, fuel, food, and an overnight stop on route to Loch Lomond.

Sometimes Ryanair do deals with Hertz, but you can shop around for better deals.  Beauvais is in the Oise department of Picardie and to drive to Normandie would take no time at all.

good luck and enjoy your trip