<< It's 32 degrees outside - isn't it a tad early to be thinking logs for winter? >>

Wood improves for being stacked for between a year and  three years. You can buy wood for much better prices in summer than in late winter when the suppliers know you are desperate.

[quote]<< It's 32 degrees outside - isn't it a tad early to be thinking logs for winter? >> Wood improves for being stacked for between a year and three years. You can buy wood for much bett...[/quote]

Now you are teaching your grandmother to suck eggs!

Any one wanting to buy wood in "late winter" would be desperate. But I would have thought that waiting until august is over is early enough. I certainly wouldn't want to be stacking several cubic metres of logs in the heat of july/august - vous etes fou (meant in the nicest possible way)!

Good grief Fantine you do seem to be getting a bit anal about this!

I'm asking now in the hope that someone will be able to help in time for me to buy them in August/September. (Don't fret Fantine, I'll take care in the heat). In fact I probably have enough to see me through most of the winter but I want to stock right up again and I want to reseach a good deal (and the right wood).

Fantine you are right, but, the only wood I would be stocking this Sept is for the start of winter 2006 or beyond.

We have done the buying a month at a time and the wood is often damp. The latest I would have had the wood for winter 2005 stacked was last April and then I would be worried about it being dry enough.