I can recommend L'Huîtrière in rue des Chats Bossus. It's central and you enter it through a beautiful Art Deco fish shop. For people who like fish, of course.

There was another great restaurant in the rather arty quarter nearby, run by a chef called M. Bardot. I've forgotten the name of the restaurant but could never forget the name of the "patron". That was a long time ago though, and he may have moved on.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!  I had already looked at l'Huitriere website, and had rather gasped at the prices.  Still, lunch (around 43€) might be a possibility.

I think the Bardot guy must be the one referred to here in an article from "Le Point":

"...[Lille] eut son heure de gloire il y a quinze ans avec son équipe de mousquetaires dits BMW : Bardot (le Flambard), Martin (le Paris), Waterlot (la Devinière). "  But, from another website it looks as if he  might now be at Vaison-la-Romaine.

I fancy T'Rijsel (an estaminet in Rue de Gand), which I failed to get into last time (must book!), and which looks very characterful.  But am up for some more suggestions from anyone else as will be staying three days.

Angela

We hava always enjoyed meals at any of the Aux Pécheurs d'Etaples restos in the North. In fact we had my 40th birthday celebrations in the original resto in Etaples sur Mer (near Le Touquet).

Restaurant Aux Pêcheurs D'Etaples 150, Rue Solferino 59000, LILLE Tel : 03 20 40 20 38

Fax Nr.: 03 20 30 14 66 Closed Sunday eve Cuisine: Seafood ...

http://www.resto.fr/fr/Nord-Pas-de-Calais/Nord/restaurant.cfm?restaurant=2420