I don't know Lille but I would be gobsmacked if restaurants were not open and doing a roaring trade.  Your problem may be getting a place without a reservation since Sunday is a family day and restos get very busy.

And because it is Advent you may well find a number of ordinary shops open as well.

[quote]I am going to be in Lille Sunday 11th December and Monday 12th - I suspect it is a silly question, but can anyone assure me that I will be able to find restaurants etc open on the Sunday for lunch and...[/quote]

When we went to Lille we found a really good market that takes place every sunday when i find the info i wil tell you the tube station but you will find all the restaurants open i think

Regards

Polo

[quote]When we went to Lille we found a really good market that takes place every sunday when i find the info i wil tell you the tube station but you will find all the restaurants open i think Regards Polo[/quote]

I think the market to which you are refering is to be found at Place de la Nouvelle Aventure, 59000 Lille (Wazemmes district) and the nearest Metro station is Gambetta. Whilst the market is open on Tuesday,Thursday and Sunday, the best day to go is Sunday when it is at is largest and is open 7am to 2pm. Do expect it to be busy but there are bargains to be had and a little bit of haggling might save even more money.

Baz

Indeed, the Wazemmes market is great and all the restaurants round there will be open.   There are plenty of non-French ones in that area if you want to try Thai, etc, and also one whole street of ethnic shops - great for spices etc that are sometimes hard to find in France. Monday lunchtime you would do better to look in Vieux Lille or in areas where there are office workers.   Outside these areas restaurants are often closed on lunchtime on Mondays.