UK Tax problem

bixy

I've just been told that because I have been resident in France before starting to receive my state pension I have to fill in another France Individual form. It was only with the greatest difficulty that we managed to get this back to the UK the first time. I'm dreading having to do so again. Apparently when you have any new source of income you have fill in another France Individual, according to the UK tax office. Has anyone else had this experience?

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]I've just been told that because I have been resident in France before starting to receive my state pension I have to fill in another France Individual form. It was only with the greatest difficulty that we managed to get this back to the UK the first time. I'm dreading having to do so again. [/quote],

Since the rules were changed re the FI form it has been less of a nightmare. Now you fill it in, take it to your local French tax office, you wait while they research your past history of tax declarations, they then stamp both copies and keep their copy. They give you back the UK copy  and you send it direct to the relevant UK office yourself. Do ring the UK to check which office to send it to as the downloadable FFI has the old, incorrect address on.

This worked well for one of my friends this May.

Sue

I can imagine that, as a basic state pension from the UK is not taxable in the UK, but in your country of residence and they will want proof of that.

Also the french will need a copy of your E121(S1), if you haven't done this already.

[quote user="suein56"]Now you fill it in, take it to

your local French tax office, you wait while they research your past

history of tax declarations, they then stamp both copies and keep their

copy. They give you back the UK copy  and you send it direct to the

relevant UK office yourself.

[/quote]If you're saying that they do that as you wait it's perhaps a little rash and optimistic to expect that every departmental tax office works in the same way.

OH has recently become a pensioner but although she was sent a copy of the France Individual form because she has no other income derived from the UK  she spoke to DWP/HMRC about it and was told to ignore it. Her pension is now being paid gross into our joint French bank. A/C.

Basically, as we have had quite a bit of contact with HMRC over the time we have been here, they know full well that we are French resident and are happy to deal with us accordingly.

Thanks for those replies. It seems from ther dearth of responses that no-one else has had this problem. I would be very interested to hear from someone in the same position as me, ie. who has started to receive the state pension while already resident in France.

Patrick

bixy, I was wondering 'how' you applied for you UK pension as a french resident.

I ask as a swedish friend, uk resident, had to apply for her swedish pension via Newcastle. And we Uk residents, had to apply for the french pension via Newcastle too.

Did you apply to the CNAV in France to get your UK pension???? I believe that is how it should be done and maybe the paperwork gets sorted better if it is done as it should be done????

Where you are resident is more or less irrelevant, where you last worked is what counts.

Normally you should claim your pension from the country in which you were last in paid employment and I believe Auto Entrepreneur in France qualifies as paid employment in that regard.

That country then liaises with the other countries in which you have earned a pension entitlement to work out who pays what.

For those approaching UK state pension age and living in France DWP will automatically inform you of your up coming pension entitlement. Part of the process is a declaration that you have not worked anywhere since you left UK.

That isn't what we were told. Last country where employed was France. Living in the UK when the french pension was due to start and applications went in intially to DWP who forwarded application to France. So if that was the case, then the application should have been made directly to France, and the french told us not to, but to apply via the DWP and the DWP said that we were doing things correctly.

Are they both wrong? Ofcourse they could be[Www]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="bixy"]I've just been told that because I have been resident in France before starting to receive my state pension I have to fill in another France Individual form. It was only with the greatest difficulty that we managed to get this back to the UK the first time. I'm dreading having to do so again. [/quote],
Since the rules were changed re the FI form it has been less of a nightmare. Now you fill it in, take it to your local French tax office, you wait while they research your past history of tax declarations, they then stamp both copies and keep their copy. They give you back the UK copy  and you send it direct to the relevant UK office yourself. Do ring the UK to check which office to send it to as the downloadable FFI has the old, incorrect address on.
This worked well for one of my friends this May.

Sue
[/quote]

Yes you need to do a new France Individual since the UK want to know that the French are taxing you on this specific income. And, yes the new process is much simpler and quicker as you have control of the forms and don't need to rely on them going via Paris. But as Sue says, check the address, I seem to recall the relevant address was in Cardiff, but since that was a few months ago, it could have changed again!

[quote user="idun"]Living in the UK when the french pension was due to start and applications went in intially to DWP who forwarded application to France.

[/quote]I think you are misreading me.

I didn't specify the actual mechanics of the process nor did I intend 'you' or 'your' to be taken so completely literally and personally and the fact that the claim was made to and processed by the DWP does not make my statement incorrect [;-)]