Hello all.

We have a cottage near L'Aigle, and are struggling with the language.. both hubby and I did "O" level, and would love to practice the basics of everyday French with anyone else eager to learn or help.

It would also be great to meet up with anyone in the area... seems very few Brits about!

Cheers

Hi

We have a cottage the other side of Argentan - near Putanges, and are in France mainly during the school holidays.

I have been  trying to improve my O level french by going to conversation classes at my local adult education centre.   Probably should practice more though, as I tend to find most of my vocabulary dries up when actually talking to a real french person!   Would be interested in joining a discussion group if there was one.

Sue

we live in dept 22 and there are a few groups set up to discuss the language and living etc. which are set up by the locals (french and english).There is suppossed to be these groups throughout france, can't remember the name of it now but it should be on local salle de fetes noticeboards and/or the marie may know hope this is some use!! 

• 9 months later...
Although we have a house in 61, I would be most reluctant to get involved in a discussion group on the lines you suggest.  I suspect that any such group would rapidly revert to English.  The only way is to talk to the natives, despite their accent and patois.  When we first bought our house we were the only English in the village and had to speak French (except to the children who wanted to try out their English lessons).  Now more English families have moved in and we find ourselves meeting and talking with them (in English) rather than with our French neighbours.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello (Bonjour) nous avon un maison dans Ommeel Pres de Gace et Argentan.  And my French has just run out.  We take regular lessons in the UK but feel we are running into a brick wall.  We always seem to manage in France but that is just about it.  Would love to get involved providing the main aim was to improve the communication skills.  We will be out over Easter and would love to get in touch?

Regards