Hi Kevin

I'm sure you didn't mean to "shout", but that's what block capitals seems to imply in net and text terms these days... It just makes me think of Death in the Discworld books, to be honest, as in "I COULD MURDER A CURRY".

Anyway, hastily back on topic - your local library should have a copy of the DK Eyewitness Brittany guide, which covers what to see plus where to stay and where to eat, with lots of gorgeous illustrations as well.

I have to declare a semi-interest in that I worked on this book as an editor, but I have no financial link or indeed anything to gain, so I hope I'm allowed to say this. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was good (I'd keep jolly quiet about it!).

But moderators please strike me down if you think I've gone beyond the pale.

Hi Kevin,

I assume you will be travelling by boat to St. Malo and will be spending most of your time in dept. 22? If so, Where you go depends very much on what you're after. For example, if you have children and want to spend the day at the beach, I'd recommend St. Cast, Pleneuf Val Andre or Erquy if you want a small beach town or Dinard if you prefer bigger beach resorts.

If you prefer historic towns and architecture, Dinan is a must and Rennes is also worth a visit. A lot of visitors to Brittany come with camper vans or caravans or rent a house/gite for accommodation. Chez Nous and Brittany Ferries provide an agency service for gite landlords, so give them a go if that's what you're after.

The usual hotel chains i.e. Ibis/Campanile etc. are all here but don't tend to be in particularly scenic locations. If you fancy something small and up-market, try the Ecrin Hotel in Plancoet. There's also the (not quite so posh) Abbaye in Plancoet but it's been quite a while since I stayed there. There are also plenty of hotels in Dinan, but it's at least half an hour from the coast.

Good luck with your trip - let me know if there's more you want to know.

Charlie