Rubbish collection

Manon

Having just had our Taxe Fonciere bill we are now paying just over 300 euros per year for rubbish collection - which we don't have ! The nearest bin is on the main road at the end of our long lane and we take all our rubbish there and to the nearest recycling bins. I think we can contest this charge but does anyone know what the exact rules are please ?

This is the Service Public site:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F22730.xhtml

This bit sounds as if I might apply to you:

Propriétés exonérées

Exonérations permanentes

Les propriétés suivantes sont exonérées de manière permanente :

• propriété exonérée de taxe foncière,

• local situé dans la partie de la commune où ne fonctionne pas le

service d'enlèvement des ordures ménagères (zone dite hors périmètre),

sauf délibération contraire de la collectivité.

You do have rubbish collection though; from the bin on the main road, the recycling bins and the dechetterie. That's the normal arrangement in rural areas where it would be uneconomic to pick up rubbish from each individual house.

Even if you don't use the service, you still have to pay as the service is still provided.

[quote user="Manon"]Having just had our Taxe Fonciere bill we are now paying just over 300 euros per year for rubbish collection - which we don't have !  I think we can contest this charge [/quote]

I wish you luck, you will need it!

As has been stated you do benefit from a rubbish collections service.

A friend lives at the end of a  D road, this road is in good condition, I

might add, but the bin men will not go along it to collect her bin. She

has to take it to the end of their road, some considerable distance, on the 'main' road..... another D

road.

You are, as was said having your rubbish collected, but just having to take it to a pick up point. Your rubbish is being processed, so you have to pay. That you live as my friend does somewhere without an 'immediate' collection point, is simply unfortunate.

Crikey that sounds a lot.

We receive a separate bill in May every year (not fonciere), this year's amounted to 128 euros. We live in a small village, we do have recycling bins in the village as well as our own bin that is emptied weekly and the bill states quite clearly that this amount includes the use of the dechetterie. Our neighbour whose home is a holiday home does not have a bin but she still receives a bill for around 85 euros to cover the village recycling bins and the operation of the decheterie which is in the next larger village 4 km distant.

[quote user="knee gel"]Crikey that sounds a lot. [/quote]

Apart from the charge for collection (wherever the collection point may be, and ours is down a steep lane to the nearest D-road), the cost is also dependent on the fee charged for sorting the collected rubbish.

Our commune is being charged a high rate per weight (when compared to other communes) simply because there is no care and/or attention put into sorting recyclables (green bin) from household rubbish (brown bin). Everything goes into the bin regardless...

When our mairie last organised to have skips for bulky items, everything was thrown in and around, from beds to glass bottles, washing machines and tyres, with no attention to the recycling instructions.

The resulting cost was so prohibitive that the mairie has been unable to justify another collection.

That's a shame Clair; it's a pity that the offenders can't be penalised in some way. In our town there are occasional inspections of the recycling bins, with a big red label attached if there's anything that's not allowed (plus the bin isn't emptied). We got one once, and have since been much more careful - not everything which the packaging says is recyclable is wanted in the recycling bin by our commune. There are communal bins for paper and glass, but there are always bags of rubbish dumped around those bins - so annoying.

[quote user="Pommier"]That's a shame Clair; it's a pity that the offenders can't be penalised in some way. In our town there are occasional inspections of the recycling bins, with a big red label attached if there's anything that's not allowed (plus the bin isn't emptied). We got one once, and have since been much more careful - not everything which the packaging says is recyclable is wanted in the recycling bin by our commune. There are communal bins for paper and glass, but there are always bags of rubbish dumped around those bins - so annoying.[/quote]

We have the same trouble in our village. Luckily we have two communal workers who at least can clear up other people's mess. Once someone left all his paper in bags up against the glass recycle bin in the village, including his bank statements. I grew a set of horns on my head, extracted some, wet them and glued them up on the outside of the bin. Now everyone who used the bin knew he had 36000 in his savings account!

We used to have two very large green bins alongside the glass, paper and plastic recycling bins. There are quite a lot of houses in our village that do not have their own dustbin (wont pay for one) so they used the village facility. However, as others have found on this link everything was thrown alongside from microwaves, tv's etc. Our maire has now had the green bins removed and a notice put up telling people to take their rubbish to the dechetterie. It does seem to have had the desired effect - most of the time!

We have a 'maison secondaire' at the end of a D road and get a weekly rubbish collection. Our local commune supply bags once a year .We're billed 3 times a year. I keep meaning to query the costings but never get round to it. The total for the year 137.52 which includes access to the local decheterie. I recycle where possible, having a visit to the decheterie just before we leave.